What's new
What's new

O/T: Dremel rotary tool replacement?

Terry Keeley

Titanium
Been using Dremel tools forever for light duty grinding/polishing and my old model 380 finally shit the bed.

The new ones look cheap, all "plasticy" & complete with girly-man styling so I'm looking at alternatives. I need a 120v "all in one" unit so it's more portable.

Looking at one of these: PROXXON - IBS/E

Anyone have one of these? Any other suggestions?

They are, I put the flex shaft on a new one recently used it less than 5 minutes the bloody thing stank of plastic and nearly melted, I’m not impressed, and that one said professional on the side, they’ve gone backwards, instead of the glass filled polymer there just thermoplastic with melt in oil rubber stuck on to make it worse, oh for an Ali dremmel
Mark

400W Electric Grinder Machine EU 110V/220V Metal Cutting Renovation Rotary Tool | eBay

i have two like this, actually the predecessor, was a bit cheaper. its a dremmel on steroids, chuck has an incredible runout of 20µ. i have an older proxxon, its weak and i run it straight from a transformer. the cast neck has been handy for "additional axis" applications.

(stefan gotteswinter talks about his die grinders in the last vid.)

edit: no idea whats happening above, posts refuse to be deleted also.

I have a variable-speed dremel, that no exaggeration, is 45+ years old, made in Wisconsin back when those were not mass-marketed, I think they cost $50 back then (parents bought it as my single Christmas gift it was so expensive). It had the nylon housing back then--still use it.

Got my Dremel also as my only Christmas gift about 35 years ago, haha. Still running last I heard (gave it away when I moved here).

I have a little Proxonn, 15 years of daily use still runs quiet and true. I'd be happy if it had cost 4x the price, incredible value.

I have a Proxon IB/E. I've had it quite a while (many years) haven't used it a lot but it's head and shoulders above any Dremel . Made an adapter to hold it to the quill of a Bridgeport for a high speed to see if I could sharpen taps. But then my access to the Bridgeports went the way a lot of things did when the "Whuhan flue" hit. :-(
...lewie...

Stefan Gotteswinter in his usual great youtube production had a segment on die grinders in latest, Shoptalk #24. Approx 16 minutes in.

L7

I have an old dremel bought in 1970, I only have to replace the brushes.

I would think if you wanted high quality the proxon would be good, or a foredom.

I think when they put a brushless motor in the proxon it will be the best of all worlds.

Super high speed, super powerful and super efficient and cool running.

I love my brushless tools... so much more power and battery life.

Foredom(R) Brushless Micromotor System

I see in post #10 that you made a choice, Proxxon probably. Should you find that you are disappointed in the choice you made, you might do well to start again and look carefully at Foredom, as suggested by others. In my view, Dremel and Proxxon are both hobbyist items and marginally satisfactory for occasional hobby purposes, while a top grade Foredom is a very clear step in the direction of a well made piece of serious shop equipment.

-Marty-

I see in post #10 that you made a choice, Proxxon probably. Should you find that you are disappointed in the choice you made, you might do well to start again and look carefully at Foredom, as suggested by others. In my view, Dremel and Proxxon are both hobbyist items and marginally satisfactory for occasional hobby purposes, while a top grade Foredom is a very clear step in the direction of a well made piece of serious shop equipment.

-Marty-

Thanks. Yup, looked at Foredom and NSK but they only offer hand pieces driven by transformers or flex shafts.

As mentioned I need this to be more portable so was looking for a rotary tool type unit.

I have an old dremel bought in 1970, I only have to replace the brushes.

I would think if you wanted high quality the proxon would be good, or a foredom.

I think when they put a brushless motor in the proxon it will be the best of all worlds.

Super high speed, super powerful and super efficient and cool running.

I love my brushless tools... so much more power and battery life.

Foredom(R) Brushless Micromotor System

Looking at the Foredom site, I'm thinking you might consider a cheaper micro motor. On various eBay dental tool sites, asian clones (or so) go for about $99. Bought one, liked it, but it failed after about 3 mos. Vendor sent free replacement. Mine does have one drawback--it comes with only a 3/16 collet.

Looking at the Foredom site, I'm thinking you might consider a cheaper micro motor. On various eBay dental tool sites, asian clones (or so) go for about $99. Bought one, liked it, but it failed after about 3 mos. Vendor sent free replacement. Mine does have one drawback--it comes with only a 3/16 collet.

but why would I want something destined to fail quickly?

I've got an older Dremel for really small and light work. A Bosch straight die grinder for heavy stuff (and also a 1/4" chuck adapter that fits right angle grinders if clearance is too short for the straight grinder). And a couple of Foredoms for bench work that doesn't need a single, self-contained tool.

Yes, a better-made Dremel-type tool would be nice.

[Added in edit] My Foredoms are not the new micromotor handpieces. They are the old-style with hanging motors, a flexshaft, footpedal (or dial) speed control, and replaceable flex-driven handpieces. Unlike the micromotors, with the right handpiece these are beefy enough for an improvised live tool on the lathe cross-slide.

Last edited:
I have one of the ones that Scruffy887 mentions in post #20. It is the 310 router version.

One of the neat features is a bearing support that is located outboard of the collect - very rigid.

Back