What's new
What's new

OT: Tell me about Yanmar tractors

henrya

Titanium
Looking at 25-30 hp tractors like the ST series from Yanmar. Also looked at Deere and Kubota. They are pretty pricey. Yanmars run a good bit less.

What’s the story on Yanmars of the last 5 or 10 years?

Last edited:
Deere has used Yanmar diesels for ages, so the engines at least are good. I've got one in my little JD tractor, 23 HP. It has been in use for the last 18 years with nary an issue and nothing but reliable service.

Looking at 25-30 hp tractors like the ST series from Yanmar. Also looked at Deer and Kubota. They are pretty pricey. Yanmars run a good bit less.

What’s the story on Yanmars of the last 5 or 10 years?

"Good, but not as good as they once were" as far as Diesels for gen sets.

Wouldn't be my first choice for marine aux or gen-set use, either.
IF.. I had the MONEY for better, anyway.

(Disclosure.. after a lot of research and agonizing, my gen set is Lister-Petter powered (Onan/Cummins owned, these days).

AFAIK, the Yanmar factory for their small Diesels has been in PRC for Donkey's Years, already.

That isn't all bad.

Just harder to assess with much predictability.

Try this. Take the Model number you are interested in, go ogle:

"problems with <that model number>"

NOBODY gets off free of problems. Don't even ASK me about Jaguars or Range-Rovers!

But at least you can get an idea of what sort of problems .. what they cost to avoid or deal with .. and whether factory and dealers and warranty coverage were helpful ....or just another sad story of no parts to be had, long delays, and general pain in the pocketbook.

NB: You have already looked at these guys, one presumes?

Mahindra Agriculture North America: Mahindra Tractors, Farming Equipment and Utility Vehicles

Can't speak for newer models but purchased a YM240 at auction in 2004. 24HP, was probably 25 years old at that time. Have put roughly 100 hours per year on it, still running strong with no major repairs.

Owned a Yanmar 3QM30 (made in Japan) for ~ 10 years (in a sailboat). Sturdy, trouble-free, reliable engine.

Installed a rebuilt Yanmar 2QM20 (made in Japan) in a client's sailboat several years ago. Sturdy, trouble-free, reliable engine.

My Dad bought a Yanmar YM155D in 1980. He's long gone now but I still have the tractor. It
still starts and runs fine. I know a couple people who have newer Yanmars and I've never heard
of any problems...

My neighbor has had a Yanmar Mini excavator for years and loves it. He's good at maintaining it and has excellent performance from it. He's had others, but likes this one the best.

I believe that, for many years, Yanmars were sold a gray market Kubotas. In other words, they are very similar to Kubotas.

That said...unless someone gave me a scalding deal on one, I'd be inclined to not own one due to low support/parts and lower resale value.

I just bought a 'new' Kubota, L3800, this week. It's a 2014 model...after some research, it's the same as the current L3901 but without the horseshit emissions/common rail mess. I'd avoid any new tractor if possible for that reason alone.

Deere has used Yanmar diesels for ages, so the engines at least are good. I've got one in my little JD tractor, 23 HP. It has been in use for the last 18 years with nary an issue and nothing but reliable service.

I would be surprised if the entire tractor was not made by Yanmar. I do not believe any tractor under 50 hp is made in the usa for the last 20 years.
\Bill D

I believe that, for many years, Yanmars were sold a gray market Kubotas. In other words, they are very similar to Kubotas.
Who knows whom makes some of the rebranded goods as major-makers fill-in their product lines... MOPAR making vans for VW, Suzuki for GMC.. etc..

But even so .. Yanmar and Kubota have traditionally used rather DIFFERENT Diesel / "semi-Diesel" engine philosophy of design.

My John Deere 1025R has a 3 cylinder Yanmar which looks the same block as their 3YM30 marine engine. Not sure what the industrial engine nomenclature for that would be.

We had half dozen yenmar turbo 3 cylinder motors in school for diesel mechanics, they all worked just fine, started right up when jumped off a battery, no electronics.

Don’t flood them with starting fluid before cranking the engine, watched a kid blow the head gasket out the side of the engine when he did just that, sounded like a 12g shot gun

My little JD was built in Horicon, WI in 2003. I checked before buying. Mines an x595, similar capability to the newer x7XX or the 102X machines.

2015 jd 1023 yanmar 500cc 3 cyl 900 hours no problems and I run it pretty hard sometimes.

Great fuel economy 8 to 10 hours on 5 gallons at 2700 rpm

It's really a good small tractor I've driven a couple other brands similar models and they don't have the GO this has.

Test drive it! Put it in high and mash the pedal compare that and you will see a huge difference.

Ps don't let your fields get to tall before you cut...20210618_170715.jpg

Back