What's new
What's new

Moving multuple steel surface plate. Stacking is ok?

Spud

Diamond
I presume it is ok to stack steel surface plates on top of each other, for transport ?

Can you place the feet of one plate on the flat surface of another plate, as long as you place some plywood inbetween the two?

Was also thinking of placing some canvas between the plywood and the top surface of a plate, so it doesn't get scratched.

Smallish plates,no larger than 24" x 34"

how many do you have? Are they all the same? If I had an even number of them and all the same size I would have pairs of them facing each other with cardboard in between then have the feet of the pairs lined up stacking the pairs. Need to secure them so the feet cannot slip.

dee
;-D

Four plates. Two of them are the same, the other two are slightly different sizes. Will place them face to face then . With canvas or cardboard inbetween, and ratchet strap them together.

Any idea what this plate weighs?

It will be lifted with a forklift, so what's the best place to position the forks?

20" x 30"

surface-plate.jpg

Just got home after picking the plates. They were smaller and lighter than I expected. Was able to gently tilt one plate's top surface onto the top surface of another plate, with several layers of canvas inbetween.

Blocked the plates with lumber, and placed rubber vehicle floor mats on the bottom so they didn't move about. Took me about 1 hour 45mins to get every loaded and positioned properly.

One of the plates is cast aluminum. Thought all surface plates were cast iron.

Back