What's new
What's new

WTB Vintage Atlas TH54 10" Compound Slide

Trying to help source a replacement compound slide for my local motor shop.
As long as the main components are in great shape its ok if its missing a small part. The existing one they're using has a crack and has been used & abused.
Atlas TH54 10inch  Compound Slide.jpg
~Warren

A properly done silver braze will make it better than new. There might be room to put a couple steel pins through the break before brazing, and that will increase the strength in that area.

Larry

The JB weld is stronger than the pot metal lathe.

No need to "polish a turd".

For all that the particular brand is going to get dumped on around here (read the rules of the Forum, hint hint) you might be better off buying a block of Durabar or such, and making yourself a new one. Add some thickness where it broke, take a little thickness off the top. Like as not, if you were suitably motivated and imaginative, you could build the new part on that very lathe. Or as some will no doubt point out, lathe shaped object...

Otherwise, it's figure out a patch strategy, or scrounge around ebay until one shows up.

I can recall reading in old issues of Home Shop Machinist magazine (because there was no internet then to speak of!) of guys grafting parts in to broken iron parts and holding them together with screws, then silver solder.

Lots of ways to skin that particular cat. The one that works for you is the right one!

Anyways, this particular Forum is a bad place to discuss that particular brand of machine, though there are several here that own the various products of that company.

The site owner prefers that this not be a mecca for owners of that particular brand, it is his site, so he makes the rules as he sees fit.

I wish you best of luck. If you wish to further discuss the particulars, draw a decent dimension-ed drawing, leave the name out, and ask away (the secret to bypassing the whole 'hate' on the brand!) and you will likely see a fair few responses offering help.

"Iron"? Only to an optimist.

"Cast"? Surely.

As the term is used in describing Earthworm turd.

That should "bust your bubble" well-enough.

I once worked with a crew that included one old guy whose eyes pointed in different directions. One-to-one conversations were just fine, but in a small circle you couldn't tell who he was addressing because his eyes were pointed at two or three different people. Apparently it wasn't a problem for him because reportedly he was a deadeye at pool and had to drive to nearby towns to get anyone to play against him.

Relevance? Sometimes your commentary is so elliptical I can't tell what points you're trying to make. The Atlas 10" and 12" lathes were indeed primarily cast iron - bed, carriage, apron, tailstock, crosslide, compound, headstock and others. Zamac was in change gears and perhaps pulleys along with some apron internals. Atlas 6" lathes could be anybody's guess. I talked with a potential customer a few weeks ago who had one that was supplied with NO DIALS and a crosslide screw with 24 TPI. It deserves all the scorn posted, the OP does indeed have a cast iron part and Jim Rozen's comments are correct and to the point. Yours? Sorry, I just can't tell..

I once worked with a crew that included one old guy whose eyes pointed in different directions. One-to-one conversations were just fine, but in a small circle you couldn't tell who he was addressing because his eyes were pointed at two or three different people. .....

Was his name Jim Kafalas? I worked with that man for three years, and the exact same eye problem, with the EXACT same effect. He'd be looking right at you and talking to somebody he was looking RIGHT AT with the other eye. Drove me bonkers.

This was in Waltham, MA, between '81 and '83.

Thread: WTB Vintage Atlas TH54 10" Compound Slide

Apparently classified items need to follow Forum rules of those of acceptable for discussion in topic forums? Wanting to respect Administrative requests. Thanks

Last edited:
The add: Thread: WTB Vintage Atlas TH54 10" Compound Slide
Can someone advise on how I can edit or delete this classified?
Thanks

The add: Thread: WTB Vintage Atlas TH54 10" Compound Slide
Can someone advise on how I can edit or delete this classified?
Thanks

There is a time limit on this forum, after which you can no longer edit a post.

My advice, don't sweat it. Lots of grumpy old pricks around here, that like to rattle their gums about naught, but most of them actually have a lot of good info too.

If the Forum Owner or the Moderator decides to kill the thread, they will. Otherwise, sift out the good advice from the noise and carry on with yer life.

Best of luck with your project!

Back