What's new
What's new

samsung sl20 tool comp paramater change

aerowizard

Plastic
Is it possible to add another decimal place to the tool comp section so I can comp it .00005 instead of .0005?
IF anyone knows, please help. I'm running a +/- .0001 dimension and clearly its a back and forth battle. Thanks

One way to do it, although RISKY, is to put the machine in metric mode. But your programs would all have to be redone.
What control is on the machine?
Off the top of my head, call 1-888-FANUCUS and they could probably look that up, if it exists.
Parameters 5013 and 5014 are the ones regulating what looks to be what you want. BE CAREFUL and WRITE DOWN what they are now before changing anything.

Is it possible to add another decimal place to the tool comp section so I can comp it .00005 instead of .0005?
IF anyone knows, please help. I'm running a +/- .0001 dimension and clearly its a back and forth battle. Thanks

Slap the engineer who wrote that tolerance spec... sorry that isnt helpful but I couldnt stop myself. Good luck with your efforts and let us know what you find out.

Charles

We have a SL20E, It reads in .0001 for comp, should not be rounding up to .0005? am i reading the question wrong? If you enter in .00015 for comp, i believ it should be reading out as .0002 but running at .00015. Am i wrong here? Never ran into this issue as our tols are +0/-.0005 tighter we generally grind.

It won't let you enter in a value of .0001"??

Yes it does. But I want .00001 notice its the 5th decimal place. I want to be able to comp the machine in 50-millionths in standard measurement.

Last edited:
Yes it does. But I want .00001 notice its the 5th decimal place. I want to be able to comp the machine in 50-millionths in standard measurement.

Ahh gotcha. I was just confused by your OP.
My bad.

I honestly don't think you can do that on a machine that isn't a grinder or something made for those specific increments. Your best bet is trying metric mode as mentioned above,but that comes with changing everything to metric.

Without knowing what control you have nobody will be able to really give an accurate answer.

In addition, trying to hold grind tolerances on a low end commodity lathe is not likely to get you real consistent results. Just because you can tweak an offset in 10 millionths increments does not mean that the machine can physically resolve the position change that small.

Without knowing what control you have nobody will be able to really give an accurate answer.

In addition, trying to hold grind tolerances on a low end commodity lathe is not likely to get you real consistent results. Just because you can tweak an offset in 10 millionths increments does not mean that the machine can physically resolve the position change that small.

Should be FANUC 0i-TF control. We hold +0/-.0005 in ours all day in inconels, nitralloy, stainless for the last 4 years, no issues. Is it a okuma, takisawa or mori? obviously not, but i would say its a bit above the "low end" commodity grade. FAR Better than a HAAS anyway. I have heard that a shop near us got one of these and is running +/-.0001 tols on some parts, have not seen this so cant varify. Personally we havnt tried anything that tight, thats a grinding job for us when you get to those tols.

Should be FANUC 0i-TF control. We hold +0/-.0005 in ours all day in inconels, nitralloy, stainless for the last 4 years, no issues. Is it a okuma, takisawa or mori? obviously not, but i would say its a bit above the "low end" commodity grade. FAR Better than a HAAS anyway. I have heard that a shop near us got one of these and is running +/-.0001 tols on some parts, have not seen this so cant varify. Personally we havnt tried anything that tight, thats a grinding job for us when you get to those tols.

Those 3 builders you mention make nice commodity lathes. Haas does not even show on the radar for me.

For specialty work like trying to reliably and predictably hold +/-.0001 on an 8” chuck size lathe you start looking at machines with granite bases and hydrostatic slides and spindles. Oh, and it better be in a tightly climate controlled shop.

Far to often folks that talk about how they can hold tight tolerances are working in a shop with a box fan in the doorway and checking their work with tools that may have seen a calibration check when it was made and never since.

You know your machines. Takisawa builds very good turning centers. Going on 100 years now. These box way beasts were holding +.00008"/-.00000" on titanium medical devices. Temp controlled. Set up for 5 digits. Programs and offsets on Oi-T control.

IMAG0049.jpg

Not held in much regard in Australia; regarded as middle of the road at best. Just about every machine sales outlet here had a go at selling them and they were once being assembled here for a short time.

Regards,

Bill

I wonder if those were Taiwan Takisawa? The Japanese Takisawa machines are at another level.

Back