What's new
What's new

Brother CNC mill for a job shop

fltenwheeler

Plastic
Looking for recommendations for a CNC mill working in a job shop environment. I am thinking about a Brother. Looking for recommendations.

Thanks
Tim

What materials do you usual run? what size parts aproximetly? Do you already have certain size tooling cat40 etc?

You'll need to provide more info in order to get good recommendations. Do you have existing jobs that you'll be running on this new machine? Expected volumes, materials, part sizes? Budget? Do you have any other machines currently? Where are you located (important info since support may vary by distributor)?

Edit: what that guy said ^ =)

There is a Yamazen Tech Center in Florida so Brother support is there. Have you spoken to the local team? Lots of great support here as well.

Looking for recommendations for a CNC mill working in a job shop environment. I am thinking about a Brother. Looking for recommendations.

Thanks
Tim

It's not like they have a million different models. Do you want 3 axis? Pallet changer? Mill-turn? Answering that will narrow down your choices to size of machine,then choose from there.

My son and I have been talking. We feel the you have to have a machine of some type on the floor to start with. Are we wrong in our thinking? All we have now is 4 manual Lathes going up to 16”. 2 manual mills. And a very old Bridgeport Series 1 that has Mach-3 running it. The shop I purchased the Bridgeport from moved up to a Haas Mini Mill. The spindle speed is to slow for the small end mills he is using. So I am learning from him also.

Tim

Does Brother offer a CAT40? I know I wouldn't want a BT30 if I don't know what I'm going to be making.

Just getting into VMC job shop work I be looking at something generic like a Haas VF2 or a Doosan of similar dimensions.

Hi Tim,
I am your Florida representative from Yamazen, the Brother distributor. Give me a call and we can discuss in further detail. I sent you a private message with my cell phone and email address. We've helped several customers in your situation.
I look forward to helping you.
John.

My son and I have been talking. We feel the you have to have a machine of some type on the floor to start with. Are we wrong in our thinking? All we have now is 4 manual Lathes going up to 16”. 2 manual mills. And a very old Bridgeport Series 1 that has Mach-3 running it. The shop I purchased the Bridgeport from moved up to a Haas Mini Mill. The spindle speed is to slow for the small end mills he is using. So I am learning from him also.

Tim

Your first mill for GP use should be a 40" X travel, Cat 40 mill with 8000 RPM (basics)
It should have RIGID TAPPING

Nice options to have on your first mill would be:

A) 4th axis
B) Geared Head (high/low transmission)

C) Coolant through would be nice, but maybe not needed for the G/P machine?
It wouldn't need to be real high pressure for G/P mill.

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Sounds like a HAAS VF2 would be the best bang for your buck, decent travels 8k-12k+ RPM spindle, easy to use probe system, thru coolant option, VPS for simple conversational programming etc. We actually have a new mini mill with a 10k spindle we use for job shop work in steels and stainless (mostly second op or smaller parts, and it has a 4th axis on it and the probe, its used daily and it has a purpose and does that job well, i would never use it for a long run production machine tho, but for small qty, small parts that may be all you need.

This is like asking "What kind of car should I get?" That all depends on what you want to do with it. A Geo Metro will get you moving, but it won't win any races. Maybe you need a superbike. Maybe you need a dump truck.

Your first mill for GP use should be a 40" X travel, Cat 40 mill with 8000 RPM (basics)

A) 4th axis

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Hmmm. Intersting and appropriate in 1985. Now, not so much.

A) 4th axis

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Sounds like a HAAS VF2 would be the best bang for your buck, decent travels 8k-12k+ RPM spindle, easy to use probe system, thru coolant option, VPS for simple conversational programming etc. We actually have a new mini mill with a 10k spindle we use for job shop work in steels and stainless (mostly second op or smaller parts, and it has a 4th axis on it and the probe, its used daily and it has a purpose and does that job well, i would never use it for a long run production machine tho, but for small qty, small parts that may be all you need.

Then one ends up competing with every other Tom, Dick, and Harry with a small shop. Too often ends in a race to the bottom.

Very first vmc and no insight to what type of work may be coming give me something that has the travel and the torque to quote as many jobs as possible. Little fast machines are great I just wouldn't buy one for this situation, if you have little widgets coming out your ass by the 1000s by all means. I'd rather sacrifice a little efficiency to stay busy than make payments on something that runs sometimes. Also you'd be amazed the amount of Tom, Dick, and Harrys that don't utilize modern tooling/toolpaths, the way you approach a job has a huge effect on competitiveness. I've made plenty of money on 3016/4020 machines and have never had to sit around waiting for the correct type of job for them.

It does depend on your market. Personally virtually all the parts I make fit in the palm of my hand.

I don't run huge runs, I set up and run out 50-100 on my speedio.

It is incredibly simple and fast to set up. I have quick change vises and fixtures, rarely do I need more than an hour to get the next job out and running.

Don't assume a speedio is limited to die castings or huge runs, they work just fine for small orders if you have the probes.

I was going to get a Haas Mini but skipped over it for a S500x1. No regrets. I avoid larger stuff on it just being a 30 taper. But if you can live with that, they are fantastic. I don't like going over 1/2" end mill and 2" LOC.

We have several customers that have chosen to move to Brother for certain reasons....Don't think of Brothers as just "small and fast", eventhough it is true, lol! They are true "job shops" and guys that have put them in their garage or barn.
The S1000 is 40"x20" travel and available with a 10k high torque / Big Plus spindle interface as well as 16k spindle configuration. You would be surprised at what you can do with either configuration. Much less power consumption too.

I have couple of Brothers. One w/27” x and one with 40”. I’ve been happy with them. Before i had the bigger one I had a few parts that were too big for the travel so had to come up with a work around but I still made the parts. I do lust for a really big machine but haven’t needed one.

You just need to figure out where your sweet spot is going to be. Whatever you choose will somewhat define that. The Brothers are optimal for certain parts. This can be said for all machines I think. Local guy here has an okuma 560. 17k lbs? Lots of juice. I got a small shop and it’s just me.

Back