What's new
What's new

Buying a 2011 to 2016 machine, advice requested/appreciated

ldown

Plastic
Hey everyone I could use some input,

I would like to buy a new TM-P series machine but the lead times I've been given is about 30 weeks. I can't afford to wait that long so the next best thing is a newer machine. I can't find any 2017+ machines that have the Next Generation Controller. My question is this, is the classic controller still well supported? Some of the machines I am looking at have not been run a lot so I don't worry so much about the mechanical as I do for the electrical components.

Thoughts and advice appreciated!

IT's a bit of a longer conversation. If you get into TM's for older machines parts are harder to find. VF's rule and dominate so stick with the line that has parts and usual know-how from us forum junkies. same for old parts machines that come up time to time. My answer is you'll be fine if you select the right machine. There are so many of them out there and you can find parts on the usual sites. From a TM ... to an older VF2 seems an ok fit? Depends what you are thinking for machines? And what you want to do. A bit more detail would help.

IT's a bit of a longer conversation. If you get into TM's for older machines parts are harder to find. VF's rule and dominate so stick with the line that has parts and usual know-how from us forum junkies. same for old parts machines that come up time to time. My answer is you'll be fine if you select the right machine. There are so many of them out there and you can find parts on the usual sites. From a TM ... to an older VF2 seems an ok fit? Depends what you are thinking for machines? And what you want to do. A bit more detail would help.

Hey Countryguy,

Thanks for the detailed response. Our projects are all custom and we use a CNC mill to support our internal manufacturing. We've used a Tormach PCNC 1100 for years and it has served us well. I have always known of the limitations this machine in terms of rigidity and horsepower. We are basically looking for a machine that is the next level in terms of a toolroom mill. Tormach's best mill, the MX series doesn't improve the machine in terms of rigidity or horsepower so we needed to look elsewhere. Hurco makes a tool room mill but I like HAAS better because of the enclosed design, popularity (i.e. spares, more people know how to use them and fix them) and resale value.

We don't run production on any parts we make, biggest lot we have ever machined is qty 8. Going from 1.5 Hp to 7.5Hp, 1700 lbs to 4800 lbs, will allow us to make parts we can't right now.

Yes, we could go to the VF series but we just don't need it. It costs more, uses more electricity, floor space etc.

I have looked in my area and it seems like there are a few companies that repair HAAS (drives, boards etc.). I think we are able to get mechanical parts from HAAS so it that is the case then buying an older low hours machine seems like a good option. I have heard mixed reviews on the next gen controller and I don't lust for any of the fancy features such as the ability to send e-mails.

I have know quite a few HAAS owners and they are generally happy. I know sky is the limit when buying machine tools but going from a Tormach to a HAAS will be a great upgrade for us!

Sounds like you know what you want- That's cool. My 3 cents on snapping up a HTF machine is to be on every day. ebay alerts, craigs alert tools. facebookmarketplace etc. It's a chore been there. Watch for the posting on that TM that's pushed and be caller 1. Have a rigger or your truck and trailer ready, Vette the seller as scams to pop up from time to time. Hope it works out for ya.

Define well supported.

Pre-2008 machines no longer have full control support, they no longer have maincon (and I think mocon) boards if you require them. You may never need either but something to be aware of, if you do need them the options typically seem to be get a new machine or pay Haas for a retrofit to a new control.

I've also personally found Yaskawa have discontinued some of the servo motors which Haas used, but those can often be repaired so I wouldn't be so worried about that.

totally agree w/ Rob L. For our 98... I bought a mechanically bad unit (spindle and gearbox were toast) and stripped it for ALL parts. Spare board stack, mocon, Video, Operator panel., IO, REgen, Every cble was pulled. Trucks, screws, and all. We'll also rebuild the spindle. $2800. And the scrapper took the frame. Thats what I mean about support for a older haas. You get the spares. if you need Haas, it probably will not be for a new board on these.

Last I heard, the 68K to ? upgrade was over 15K and you had to have Haas install , configure and load it at the HFO rates. ( Nevr knew anyone that did it though).

Define well supported.

Pre-2008 machines no longer have full control support, they no longer have maincon (and I think mocon) boards if you require them. You may never need either but something to be aware of, if you do need them the options typically seem to be get a new machine or pay Haas for a retrofit to a new control.

I've also personally found Yaskawa have discontinued some of the servo motors which Haas used, but those can often be repaired so I wouldn't be so worried about that.

Back