What's new
What's new

Alum. chips sticking to waycovers?

Sendit

Aluminum
Coolant is qualichem 250 at 7%.
Coolant is on full blast during machining and machine warm up.
Material is 5051.

After machining these sheet metal parts, I grab the wash down gun and started to clean off the covers, machine etc.

Chips were stuck as the wash down gun wasn't moving them off the covers. I had to take my hand and wipe down the waycovers in order to get the wash down gun to be effective.

Had this happen years ago but it was because my coolant go up close to 10.5-11%. This time, I'm at min of concentration 7%. Machine is Haas vf2ss 2020 year.

Does this machine have the galvanized way covers? It might be a chemical action (a rapid corrosion or electrolysis) between this alloy and the zinc that's causing the sticking.

Are any marks left behind after the chips are manually removed?

Does this machine have the galvanized way covers? It might be a chemical action (a rapid corrosion or electrolysis) between this alloy and the zinc that's causing the sticking.

Are any marks left behind after the chips are manually removed?

It does, I've took scrotch brite pad on a mouse pad and clean the waycover closest to the table. I ran this part for 3-4 hours and notice. Before running the machine it was clean.

Perhaps the simplest approach is to run some additional coolant hoses and nozzles to add a "sweep spray" to the way covers, to prevent chips from collecting as you machine. You'd want to be sure to spray from center outwards, to help sweep and to lower the risk of coolant getting past the cover joints.

Aside from that, you can also check the coolant PH and ensure you're not acidic or alkaline, one or both could increase the risk of dissimilar corrosion attack between the zinc and swarf.

I think there was a thread on here about haas waycovers having issues and corroding quickly. Not exactly sure but the corrosion theory with the aluminum sounds plausible.

I think there was a thread on here about haas waycovers having issues and corroding quickly. Not exactly sure but the corrosion theory with the aluminum sounds plausible.

Haas corrosion has to do with zinc and chlorine. Chlorine eats zinc,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back