What's new
What's new

Mazak posting a teaser of new EZ mill

I always thought when I saw the first machine they came out with the size of the main frame would be good for a smaller sized machine. Looks like they had that in mind all along.

https://youtu.be/Nhc3eu3jM6E

Charles

I agree ~ doesn't look too bad.

I.e. smaller travels and 14" deep table would make it proportionately more rigid than the VC EZ 20 - (their 40 x 20 of the same EZ "Line". ).

[ Wonder if that really helps the ergonomics / reach into the machine + tricky set ups ? (Over the 40 x 20 ) or VCN 40/20's ].

15K rpm spindle option,

30" X travel; 16.14" Y travel and 20.08" in Z travel.

14.17" by 37.40" table.

VC-Ez 16 | Mazak Ez

^^^ Then click "Specs" tab in lower half of page.

Doesn't look too bad on floor space;

__________________________________________________ __________

Seems they (MAZAK - vid) emphasizes possibility of several 4th axis rotaries.

I.e. the control can handle 4th axis positioning (and maybe full 4th contouring ?).

^^^ This is an animation for the (VC EZ 20 - the 4020 version - ) showing 4th axis rotary applications.

_________

Sort of a HAAS done the MAZAK way ... ;-)

But that gets you pre-tensioned ball screws,

High bandwidth control,

MX roller slides/tucks,

etc.

Coolant options don't look too bad.

+ 50 tool option.

I was on the horn with our Mazak dealer recently and the QT EZ line really caught my attention for a lathe. A standard QuickTurn with live tooling is gonna be at least $100K so having that lower price point is definitely a win with Mazak.

I was on the horn with our Mazak dealer recently and the QT EZ line really caught my attention for a lathe. A standard QuickTurn with live tooling is gonna be at least $100K so having that lower price point is definitely a win with Mazak.

I had the two quoted earlier this year and the difference was around $47K more for the QT-250. I doubt the prices I got would be the same today but the spilt might be similar. This was for 10"MY models.

Charles

10,582 pounds is pretty beefy for a 16x30 C-frame vmc!

Mazak is smart to offer these EZ machines at "Haas price points", as Haas has lost their edge in customer service, reliability, and cost.

Just look at how well Doosan has done taking on Haas!

And yes, the newest generation Mazatrol controls are quite remarkable, and the HMI seems to be leaps and bounds above anything else...

ToolCat

10,582 pounds is pretty beefy for a 16x30 C-frame vmc!

Mazak is smart to offer these EZ machines at "Haas price points", as Haas has lost their edge in customer service, reliability, and cost.

Just look at how well Doosan has done taking on Haas!

And yes, the newest generation Mazatrol controls are quite remarkable, and the HMI seems to be leaps and bounds above anything else...

ToolCat

Not to mention that Doosan is releasing even more machines at cheaper prices points like the SVM4100.

I think Haas is becoming less and less of a value buy than before...and I still wouldn't choose a Haas as my first choice of a value CNC machine anymore. They just don't have the advantage anymore. I guess technically they are made in America but...who cares.

For example, that Doosan comes with coolant thru spindle as standard! Last I checked CTS on a Haas is like 8-10K to upgrade

Not to mention that Doosan is releasing even more machines at cheaper prices points like the SVM4100.

I think Haas is becoming less and less of a value buy than before...and I still wouldn't choose a Haas as my first choice of a value CNC machine anymore. They just don't have the advantage anymore. I guess technically they are made in America but...who cares.

For example, that Doosan comes with coolant thru spindle as standard! Last I checked CTS on a Haas is like 8-10K to upgrade

The thing is Doosan and now seems like Mazak are in the ball park price as a Haas.................not sure of this new Mazak line, but a Doosan VMC is leaps and bounds ahead of a comparable Haas unit.....................Same price(ish), but you get less machine with a Haas..................and blah blah blah:blahblah:...........the Haas control...........sure it is slick, but it's still attached to a Haas.:leaving:

Mazaks are made in Kentucky. Still part of USA. One of the very least educated states in the country, but not Florence area I guess.

Mazaks are made in Kentucky. Still part of USA. One of the very least educated states in the country, but not Florence area I guess.

Well, some Mazaks are made in Kentucky. I think most of us would rather get a Japanese built Mazak given the choice. :cool:

AFAIK they don't build any of the premium products here. Like with other big builders - it's just a way for them to get commodity machines into the local market. DMG MORI builds machines in California, but nobody is accusing them of being an American brand.

Florence, KY is just across the river from Cincinnati, OH, so even though it's Kentucky, it's basically a suburb of Cincinnati, and thus fairly modern.

Mazak first built a machine tool plant in Florence in 1973, when Cincinnati Milacron ruled the CNC world. David was setting up shop in Goliath's back yard, eh?

ToolCat

I agree ~ doesn't look too bad.

I.e. smaller travels and 14" deep table would make it proportionately more rigid than the VC EZ 20 - (their 40 x 20 of the same EZ "Line". ).

[ Wonder if that really helps the ergonomics / reach into the machine + tricky set ups ? (Over the 40 x 20 ) or VCN 40/20's ].

15K rpm spindle option,

30" X travel; 16.14" Y travel and 20.08" in Z travel.

14.17" by 37.40" table.

VC-Ez 16 | Mazak Ez

^^^ Then click "Specs" tab in lower half of page.

Doesn't look too bad on floor space;

__________________________________________________ __________

Seems they (MAZAK - vid) emphasizes possibility of several 4th axis rotaries.

I.e. the control can handle 4th axis positioning (and maybe full 4th contouring ?).

^^^ This is an animation for the (VC EZ 20 - the 4020 version - ) showing 4th axis rotary applications.

_________

Sort of a HAAS done the MAZAK way ... ;-)

But that gets you pre-tensioned ball screws,

High bandwidth control,

MX roller slides/tucks,

etc.

Coolant options don't look too bad.

+ 50 tool option.
What's the price tag on this machine?

What's the price tag on this machine?
The Ez 20 is about 10-15% more than a comparably equipped VF3SS, somewhere in the $100k range and up. Some options on those machines are comparable to that of Haas or other OEMs, while other options are a bit on the higher priced side and do not seem as appealing. If you are interested in these machines, you can register an account on the Mazak EZ series website and build one and see the pricing similar to the Haas website.

Be aware the base machine EZs have a compressed air cooled spindle. As in a 5hp screws output to run a single 15k machine. There is a liquid cooled spindle option.
I canceled the 2 EZ20s I had on order and should have at least one of the VCN 570s on line early October. Signed off on the installs last Monday just before going on vacation. VCNs have a true spindle chiller as standard.

Back