What's new
What's new

PCool jets into tool changer

cnctopher

Plastic
Hey guys, on tool changes, my coolant pump turns off as normal but the built-up pressure causes the programable coolant spigot to shoot coolant into the tool changer which over time causes obvious problems, this has always happened since owning this machine. so I wrote some code for an option in my post processor within fusion360 to post an M98 P99999 to my code before the tool changes. It works like this: before M06 is called, O99999 will run and that program is just a bunch of M34 codes in a row to point the spigot down to not spray coolant into the tool changer followed by M99 to return to the pgrm. this has worked great so far.

The problem I'm having is; the machine memory is not big enough for the program I want to run today. It is filled with lots of adaptive moves and I think it's around 200,000 blocks. If I run it from the usb the program runs fine of course, but won't call M98 unless the main program is stored to the machine memory where the O99999 subprogram is (and its not big enough even if it's completely cleared out), the control just alarms out with a notice that the O99999 subprogram cannot be found. Im running it on a 2008 classic control VF2. Im thinking the time has come where I just have to suck it up adding a solenoid in place of the ball valve at the pcool and just wire it to open when the pump is on.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Sounds like you have an umbrella toolchanger?

When are you turning off coolant? After G53 Z0? (or not at all, just let M6 do it?) If so, change it to turn off before retracting to give more dwell time.

Sounds like you have an umbrella toolchanger?

When are you turning off coolant? After G53 Z0? (or not at all, just let M6 do it?) If so, change it to turn off before retracting to give more dwell time.

Yes, umbrella changer, sorry. Soon as my cut is finished my post calls M9 to stop the coolant, then M5 to stop the spindle, then G53 G0 to rapid to Z0 to call the next tool.

If you Change your M98 to a M97 local subprogram call you can just copy and past your coolant program into the program you are wanting to run after the programs M30. For example

O00001 (Dynamic PG)
(main program)
(coolant off for T-change)
M97 P99999
(rest of PG)
G91 G28 Z0.
G28 Y0.
M30
N99999 (coolant off for T-change) this is a N instead of an O because it is not its own program
(insert your coolant pg code)
M99

I like using the M98 if i have several programs on the control that would use something like this the way you are. mainly so i don't have to type it in every program and if i change something with it, it changes across the board and instead of having to fix each program individually. But when i have a program that's to large like yours or may need to work differently I'll use the M97. This is also how i set up a program when i have the same part or parts across multiple vices. All the cuts are a local sub at the end of the program, calling it with a g54-58 for each tool/cut then doing the same with the next tool and so on.

Is your only source for coolant the Pcool? Seems odd, never heard of this issue. All of my haas mills have a secondary coolant hose/port or the halo around the spindle on the newer models. If not, could you tee in another hose to relieve that pressure? Something fishy going on here.

Its hard to say without seeing it, but the one way valve at the pump is working, right? Otherwise the thing will siphon every time it stops.

if I close the valve at the Pcool and run the coolant pump for a moment then turn it off, even after a few minutes of the pump not running, I can crack the pcool valve and get a spurt of coolant so it would appear the one-way valve is working fine. I have the machine taken apart right now cleaning out the ways but if I dont get it solved by the time its back together, Ill post up a video.

Is it getting air or leaking and siphoning or why would you get a spurt of coolant?

We have the same thing happen when we wash the machine down and crack the valve back open. The coolant line above the valve gravity flows out once you crack the valve open again.

Do you have a coolant filter? They hold a reserve of pressure, take a while to stop flowing. I thought of a dump valve or normal closed. Wire valve into pump circuit so no extra code needed. I think Haas sells something like this as an option.

Back