The $100 Micromaster is ALIVE! Cross feed problem though...
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The $100 Micromaster is ALIVE! Cross feed problem though...

So finally got the $100 B&S MM Series II up and running. It grinds pretty darn well. Everything seems to be functioning as it's supposed to, all auto functions are working. The stepper is controlling the head elevation beautifully; can easily bump tenths and it doesn't drop, rock solid. I got a start on grinding the mag chuck today but didn't get it finished. Ran out of time.

The only issue I've noticed is that the cross feed seems a little wonky. When set for 3/16" sometimes it will feed 3/16" and sometimes a lot less... Unless it's my imagination, seems to happen more frequently near the ends of table cross travel. Any of you fellas had this issue and fixed it? The ops and maintenance manual give a couple things to check, I'll be delving into those ASAP.

20200626_235719.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can't offer any help on this, just wanted to congratulate you for getting it up and running. Didn't know you had this, nor that purchase price was below retail.

3. Likes eKretz liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you. It was a very lucky find. Previous owner was an automation company that sidelined it when they got a larger machine. They listed it for sale at a price way higher than I could ever afford, but when I saw all the buttons from the "Dial-A-Size" option I was curious about it, so I asked about it hoping to get some info just out of curiosity. The guy replied and told me how it worked and that was that.

A few weeks later he emailed me and said that the machine needed to go as they were moving to another building and the owner didn't want to bring the machine with as it was surplus and sat unused. They were moving out at the end of the week... If I wanted it and could come get it immediately I could have it for $100. Needless to say I showed up the next morning with a trailer!

5. Likes Paolo_MD, Pete Deal, ballen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting machine with no down hand-wheel...Let us know how the Dial a size works..Never ran a micromaster with having that.
    Good find for $100

Back in the day I practiced a dial a size hand operation by having a height set diamond..so perhaps a .00055 down feed from the dress would make size regard less of all other aspects of the grind, yes it was subject to diamond wear but that was a very small amount of size.
    Nowadays CNC grinder I have run use a probe to check wheel and part...makes everything too easy...Darn.. No cance to brag any more... when its the machine tha makes size.

7. Likes eKretz liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have only tried it out with an empty table so far. It did what it was supposed to though. All the head controls are electronic and controlled by a stepper motor. You can rapid up and down, slow advance down, and step down in any ten-thousandth increment from . 0001" to .0099" per button press in manual mode.

This machine has a Dress/Compensate feature also, so if you need to dress the wheel in the middle of grinding, you can keep track of how much you dress off using the readout, then set that number into a dial and press the Compensate button and the machine moves the head down that amount without changing the readout.

9. Likes michiganbuck, Ray Behner liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To what number place does your DRO tell?

I passed a 824 that just needed a belt for $100 because I had no space and don't need more grinders...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It reads to .0001" in inch. Not sure in metric.

12. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah geez. I was rough grinding the mag chuck in, running at 3600 RPM, kept getting burn marks. Wheel is a 46H... I was like WTF?! Took the wheel off again to make sure I didn't misread the hardness...turns out it is an 8" wheel, not a 7". Doh! Rookie mistake. Dropped RPM down to 2800 and all is right with the world again.

Good news on the spindle too; while I had the wheel off I dropped an indicator on the adapter O.D. and face. Less than . 0002" runout on both. Barely any deflection with a hefty shove from me either.

14. Likes AD Design, Paolo_MD liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good Lawdy but does she grind nice...

20200629_162623.jpg

20200629_162635.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh, and in metric the DRO last digit is .001mm - only increments by .002mm though.
    Last edited by eKretz; 06-29-2020 at 09:12 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First part today, octagonal shape ground on 60Rc D-2 @ 3.3755" across the flats.

Really gotta get after that cross feed issue, it's costing a lot of time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200702_160948.jpg   20200702_160917.jpg  
    Last edited by eKretz; 07-02-2020 at 04:17 PM.

18. Likes Paolo_MD liked this post