What's new
What's new

32-60 Blanchard Spindle Motor Weight

Tunash

Plastic
Hello,

We are starting a project on one of our old Blanchard 32-60 Rotary Surface Grinders. We need to remove the main spindle motor to send it in to a motor shop for evaluation.

Does anyone have an idea of the approximate weight of the entire spindle motor assembly? By that I mean the entire casting that moves up and down with the grinding wheel.

I looked through the manual and reached out to Bourne & Koch. I haven't heard back from them yet, but I don't think they will be able to tell me. I went through the same thing with one of our Mattison Grinders. We just want to determine what kind of rigging equipment we need.

Any help would be much appreciated.

When I did an 84 Mattison where I used to work, The head assembly was over 10,000lbs. Challenge was that the crane over the grinder was only a 5ton capacity.

What I ended up doing was lowering the head onto the chuck with the chuck all the way in to the head, loosened up the motor plate, moved the chuck out. Then I removed the motor top end from the motor, then removed the motor stator assembly and took that to the motor shop for the rewind.

The motor shop was very happy that I brought them only the stator as it made their job much easier.

Before I would go down the path of sending the grinder motor out for evaluation, I would do a full evaluation in place. Shorted windings or leaking insulation can be checked with a Megger test. I would not be removing the spindle motor unless there was a very good reason to do so.

The top bearing can be replace without removing the motor completely. The bottom bearing is a challenge and even then I would at least try to get the chuck off the motor shaft while the motor is still on the grinder. Gravity and positioning are in your favor with the motor vertical.

Once you take the motor off and put it on the floor everything needs to be rigged to get things apart when horizontal as opposed to only needing blocking and moving the head up and down from the chuck while vertical.

Thanks for your input.

Just to give you a little background, this issue has been on going since before I started working here two years ago. When the machine is under a load, the motor starts to bog down. So the operator has to run a slower feed rate when running large pieces. Back in 2017 (before I worked here) they had technicians from a motor shop come in and do an inspection on site. Although I didn't work here, I'm sure that they did all the basic checks such as taking readings with a megger.

From an email I found from 2017.
At this point, it seems like it would be best to get the motor into the shop for a thorough evaluation. This isn’t to say we couldn’t learn a little more working on it there, but I don’t want to spin our wheels further at more expense and come up short of real answers. The estimated price to pick up the motor, transport to Volland Electric, test electrically, check air gaps if possible, dismantle, mechanically inspect, test the stator core, test the rotor cage and further troubleshoot the issue in general would be $500.00-$750.00. Within a day or two of having it, we should know more and be able to better define the best course of action.

We plan on removing the wheel hub while the spindle is still on the machine. It is my understanding that they want the whole motor intact for testing, then they will disassemble and repair. Since the motor shop will already have the spindle apart, we figured we would just let them do the bearing change.

Last edited:

Back