What's new
What's new

38-1200 US Products Co Lapping Compound

Dirck11

Plastic
Does anyone know what the lubrication medium for the US Products Compound is? Talking with American Lap Company, their lapping compound seems to be either petroleum or water based, but US products seems to be a polish. I am trying to achieve a matte finish(preferably darker grey) on titanium balls, but when i get to my required surface finish of 12-16, the ball is too shiny.

Try tumbling with a plastic media? May have to experiment to find the optimal shape/coarseness of the stones and load parameters. Or try glass bead blasting, fine media and lower pressures to start.

Try tumbling with a plastic media? May have to experiment to find the optimal shape/coarseness of the stones and load parameters. Or try glass bead blasting, fine media and lower pressures to start.
They are glassbeaded with 220 aluminium oxide to attain a starting surface finish and a matte appearance. when we then use the lapping compound to fine tune the surface finish, the matte appearance turns to a shine.

This is guesswork, so take it with a pinch of salt. Use a coarser (or fresher) medium for the initial blasting. That will leave deeper pits as the lapping compound takes off the high spots.

Hi Dirck11- My name is Rebecca and I work at US Products. I can't tell you what is in our 38-1200 sorry! But I know it works. Are you still having issues with your finish?

Back