What's new
What's new

Are all Jones and Shipman 50hz, hydro pump motor conversion.

mike.thomas1

Aluminum
Is this how they all come? Have we all risking running them hot and fast at 60hz?

Also, my multi-voltage motor for the hydro unit has apparently been serviced in the past and I can not easily rewire from a high voltage to a low voltage. Illbincluded a photo to illustrate this when I get home as there is only 3 wires going to the windings. Any suggestion on that?

If it's labelled as a 50Hz motor, it probably only ever had three wires. Running at 60Hz won't do any harm at all. Voltage for 60Hz can be 120% of 50Hz voltage without problems.

The pump motor is a very common sized std motor, hence theres no way i would remotely bother rewinding it, just replace it, can't remember if there half or just 1/3rd hp but replacement is easy and cheap. With out changing from star to delta wingdings, though you lose 3/4 of your hp, lots of three phase motors when rewound over here end up as star wound only. Had that issue with my Bridgeport when i got it. Theres no cheap fix unless its a std motor size you can replace easily. Rewinding over here is far more costly than replacement for most sub 5hp motors.

Same can not be said for the spindle motors which have a very long shaft, despite being a std frame sized motor hence very hard to replace!

Both the motors in mine mark were original and were star - delta tap able at that. Just the pump motor insulation was so bad replacement made sense hence how i know its a common frame size.

Yes 60hz is fine to run them at, spindle speed then simply ends up at 3600 rpm, instead of 3000rpm, pretty much all industrial spec machine tools will have no issue with the speed difference and cooling wise the fans will happily just shift a little more air at the higher speed resulting in near as damn it same temp operation. If you can track down the install manuals this is all covered in there.

Oh on the pump, check the little oil dripper is just dripping on the chain, too much on there and it makes a right mess! Jumping from 50-60 hz speed may be enough extra flow to need to wind that down just a little.

Back