What's new
What's new

Ancient Delta Toolmaker Grinder

clifton77208

Aluminum
I picked up one of these machines about two weeks ago from HGR industrial surplus. When I got it home on my trailer, a few things were immediately evident. First, it was so filthy that the ways were non functional. When things are in this kind of condition, it is safe to assume that the lubrication system will be equally as dirty. Secondly, the spindle felt really nasty. I specifically purchased the model with the bronze spindle bearing. The reasoning behind this is that a bronze bearing may be cleaned up with some (usually minor) stock removal. Whereas, precision ball bearings require unit replacement (which is exceptionally difficult for an impoverished college student).

Upon disassembly, I found I was right about the lube system. Machine tools like it much better when you use oil on the ways as opposed to general-purpose grease. The spindle bearing looked pretty bad too. The paint was out of the question. Whatever gunk was rubbed all over this thing for storage had made an unholy, polygamist marriage of itself, ambient grinder dirt, and the paint.

The rest of my machine tools are sold by Chinese Freight. They work well enough for most things. But chasing a taper in an out of production bearing should be subcontracted to someone who runs a good toolroom lathe and has been doing this stuff for much longer than I've been alive. I found a guy who met this description and gave him the job of repairing the bearing fit. About a day and half later, I got my bearing, spindle, and thrust fitting back in nearly perfect condition.

Stripping the old paint was the hardest part of making this thing look reasonable. The smaller parts I was able to put on a little rolling service cart I have and wire wheel them in the front yard (neighborhood board is still crapping itself). I sandblasted some of the stuff too. The replacement paint is some kind of rustoleum grey. It was cheap and plentiful at Lowes.

At this point, the machine is most of the way back together. I need to install the micrometer screw assembly, hand cranks, spindle, and motor. The motor is currently away receiving new bearings and being wired (safely and without big gloms of electrical tape) for 110v single phase. The table runs flat enough. There is a bit more play than I would like in the x-axis though. I imagine that this is fairly common with these machines since typical operation involves running the hell out of this axis.

0116120906.jpg

0115122212.jpg

0115121753.jpg

0114121652.jpg

0110120931.jpg

0103121012.jpg

0103121040.jpg

0107121552.jpg

I will post more pics of the spindle insallation today. At the moment, I'm going to see about getting a wheel for this thing. Tomorrow, the semsester starts again. This means the only work I will have time for is the paying variety (I'm a motorcycle mechanic). The grinder is regrettably a g-job. So, I'm trying to get in all the machine tool fun I can within the next 12 hour span.

I scrapped one of those several years ago from Dad's shop. Wish I'd had kept it. It was in much better shape than yours. :( I kept the elevation screw and nut and the cross slide screw and nut. If interested, send me a PM.

Ken

Thank you. I got one of these specifically because of the swiveling work head (and 110v motor and plain bearing). Hopefully, I can do some tool and cutter grinding with it.

I also have one of these at the shop. We have never really run it (mostly use the B & S 510), but I do have the original operators and parts manual if there is a drawing or diagram you need to see. Let me know.

Good luck!

ECJ

The spindle is now installed (as of about a week ago) and I just got the motor back from the shop today. I set the adjustment on the spindle bearing such that it has about 0.0005" radial play. More pictures will follow this weekend.

Here's the machine grinding its table. For whatever reason, there was a fair amount of variation in the surface. This process takes quite a while 0.0005 at a time. Note that this particular machine does not have the chatter issues that they have became so famous for (until I loaded the wheel grinding the table).
tablegrind.jpg

I have it newer brother that is a fine machine after I rebuilt the spindle. I am the original owner. The unit came from the factory with the spindle bearings under too much preload. After just a few years the spindle went to hell. There were some quality issues from the factory, but these have been addressed.

Tom

They do seem to be good little machines. You just have to give the bearings their due attention.

By the way, how long have you had that machine? Moreover, do you have any pictures of it?

Here's grinding in the bottom of the chuck and surface finish on a workpiece. The wheel I'm using is a Norton 32A 46 grit. I think it's a h hardness.

block.jpg

spark.jpg

I'm hoping you're still on the net. I've just got one of these gems to rebuild myself. Through the magic of VintageMachinery.org I have gotten all the manuals, bit no dwgs or blueprints.

If you still have them, could you photograph a few things next to a pocket machinists rule or on top of a sheet of graph paper.

The UniGrinder IniVise, the last two segments, c and d withering the two screw vise head, all apart. I'd like to re-build one from scratch.

Also, the underwheel water trough with glass oiler style water reservoir. That is the most elegant wheel lubes I've ever seen. Tnx.

I'm hoping you're still on the net. I've just got one of these gems to rebuild myself. Through the magic of VintageMachinery.org I have gotten all the manuals, bit no dwgs or blueprints.

If you still have them, could you photograph a few things next to a pocket machinists rule or on top of a sheet of graph paper.

The UniGrinder IniVise, the last two segments, c and d withering the two screw vise head, all apart. I'd like to re-build one from scratch.

Also, the underwheel water trough with glass oiler style water reservoir. That is the most elegant wheel lubes I've ever seen. Tnx.

P.S. [email protected]

Back