What's new
What's new

Any value in a Reid 618HV that needs a spindle?

Wade C

Stainless
I have one that had the spindle start squealing. I lucked out and found a different grinder locally and cheaper than I could fix the old one - so here the old one sits. Just not sure if its worth the effort to try and find a new home for it, of if Id be better off parting it out or scrapping it.

It has the Excello motor on it, has a new gear box on the power feed.

Im guessing playing with the bearings myself is not something I probably want to do based on what Ive run across in my searching prior to finding a replacement... and the cost of having the spindle rebuilt is more than I see most used grinders selling for.

Any thoughts? Is it just destined for the recycler?

Thanks
Wade

Seems that as you are sorted with a new machine you should just move it on.

You can't fix it ecomonically but perhaps a hobbyist with free time might wan to give it a go for the price of its scrap value ?

Someone on the machine recondtioning /rebuilding forum might take it off your hands, seems a shame to scrap it if its otherwise OK.

Slight correction... in case someone reading this is interested... its not a 618HV, my memory failed me apparently and I noticed yesterday when walking by it, its a 618 V-L. Sorry for the mis-information

Tray
Yeah - I got lucky with a local find - sort of. It was cheaper than a spindle rebuild, and a bit newer Reid with the other brand spindle (pope maybe? - obviously cant trust my memory here :D) Had to do some upkeep and fixing on it too... but seems to be pretty good so far.

Its hard to scrap something that still has a lot of good parts on it... But it is in the way.... And being in CO were not really a hot bed for machines compared to other areas. I might try a CL ad or something first and see where that goes (as well as put it in the classifieds and reconditioning topics here just in case).
Wade

Back