What's new
What's new

Anybody know how to remove table/bed from hydraulic K.O. Lee surface grinder???

chiefcross

Plastic
I have a problem with my K. O. Lee hydraulic grinder and I cannot find a aftermarket manual that has instructions on how to raise the bed off. I will be grinding as pretty as you please and all of a sudden wheel digs in maybe 10-15 thou. which kills the machine and sometimes blows the grinding wheel. There is something wrong under the bed causing it to rise up when moving left to right. does this manually and under power. Will run sometimes up to 30-40 minutes perfect and then ruin the job. Wheel is not moving down. that adjustment is good. Bed has to be moving up. I do not have model number cause it is covered up by a big add-on electrical box, but figure most hydraulic beds come off same. just don't want to damage anything removing it. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

I have a ko lee and it rides on rollers, maybe some debris is in there and occasionally gets caught in a roller. I don't recall how to remove the table but I remember it wasn't too complicated.

I have a 6x18 KO Lee hydraulic surface grinder. To remove the table, you take the knurled thumbpiece loose from the end of the hydraulic cylinder that drives the main table long feed. Retract the cylinder so its rod isn't in the way, and lift the table off. Have a place ready to put it down on - a couple pieces of 2x4 work OK.

There are lots of manuals around. Easy google.

metalmagpie

I have a 6x18 KO Lee hydraulic surface grinder. To remove the table, you take the knurled thumbpiece loose from the end of the hydraulic cylinder that drives the main table long feed. Retract the cylinder so its rod isn't in the way, and lift the table off. Have a place ready to put it down on - a couple pieces of 2x4 work OK.

There are lots of manuals around. Easy google.

metalmagpie

I have emailed almost every one on E-bay that has a KO Lee manual listed and they all say no instructions for removing the bed. Would love to have one that shows how. Mine that I have does not have anything in it about it. Thanks for your info. T thought this was how to do it but did not want to mess anything up. Real nice machine if i can fix this.

I have emailed almost every one on E-bay that has a KO Lee manual listed and they all say no instructions for removing the bed. Would love to have one that shows how. Mine that I have does not have anything in it about it. Thanks for your info. T thought this was how to do it but did not want to mess anything up. Real nice machine if i can fix this.

Cheif, try this web site for free download manual. Yes be careful don't break any thing..
K. O. Lee Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

You might post a photo so the guys here know what model you have.
Likely a very simple fix once you know what to do.

With not finding any help you might go to a local machine repair shop and ask if a worker/service man might make a service call.. If you paid $100 bucks for an hour tear down it would be worth it.

likely you will get more help from PM in a day or a few.

What happens when you pick up one end, and then the other end by hand? does it seem to bump a solid stop?

Will table lift enough to place a 2x4 under? are there any bolts under long travel that might hold a stop?

Will the table hand push past normal travel to expose the end of the cylinder?

Take care you don't make balance point and have the table fall off the end.

Cheif, try this web site for free download manual. Yes be careful don't break any thing..

With not finding any help you might go to a local machine repair shop and ask if a worker/service man might make a service call.. If you paid $100 bucks for an hour tear down it would be worth it.

What happens when you pick up one end, and then the other end by hand? does it seem to bump a solid stop?

Will table lift enough to place a 2x4 under? are there any bolts under long travel that might hold a stop?

Thank You very much for the link. Has just what I needed. Lee says low on fluid to stuck valve to dirty filter first would cause a hump in bed. Will try all til I get this fixed. Will also remove bed and check rollers and lubricant under bed. Again thanks, Chiefcross

Warning: this table is driven by a hydraulic cylinder. That means the rod from that cylinder is fastened to the right end of the table. Lift up hard enough and you will majorly F things up. Do NOT lift up the table from either end without first disconnecting the cylinder rod. BTW disconnecting that rod means unscrewing one 1/2-13 nut, done. Not exactly brain surgery.

I don't know if your 6x18 hydraulic surface grinder is exactly like mine, but I am guessing all the tables come off the exact same way.

metalmagpie

Back