What's new
What's new

Anyone have any information on how I can use this old KO Lee grinding fixture?

marino1310

Plastic
I have this old fixture and a Norton surface grinder, I wanted to use it for custom tool grinding and custom wheel dressing (radius, dovetail, etc). Does anyone know of any media that can help me figure out proper use of this? I have the manual from ko lee but it only really outlines use for specific grinds, not the ins and outs of the tool itself, like if theres any way to remove the springs and bolts on the underside (wont fit on the bed with the bolts hanging off) or if theres specific ways I'm supposed to set this up.

I've never dont any form of tool grinding or any grinding really. Any info would be greatly appreciated
516c90f6f4c42e94f9f82c36c14df1bb.jpg
e8ab1444e5e41a6217367d90aff105e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Get yourself a copy of the operator's manual for the Cincinnati #2 tool and cutter grinder. It is widely available on the web. It covers the use of attachments like this one, and is about 95% relevant to your KO Lee gear, despite being written for another maker's machine.

It's entirely possible that KO Lee intended that attachment to hang partly off the table. The somewhat larger Cincinnati radius head I have must hang off the table to the rear, as it's got about a 4" diameter, 6" long bearing protrusion (dimensions from aging memory, not measurement) that sticks out below the mounting plane.

Get yourself a copy of the operator's manual for the Cincinnati #2 tool and cutter grinder. It is widely available on the web. It covers the use of attachments like this one, and is about 95% relevant to your KO Lee gear, despite being written for another maker's machine.

It's entirely possible that KO Lee intended that attachment to hang partly off the table. The somewhat larger Cincinnati radius head I have must hang off the table to the rear, as it's got about a 4" diameter, 6" long bearing protrusion (dimensions from aging memory, not measurement) that sticks out below the mounting plane.
Ah that sucks. No where for it to hang off my grinder, might have to mount it to the mag chuck or something. I do know I'm missing the square(?) Rod that mounts in the center socket that's used for measuring your radius. Surprisingly the sockets taper is the same as an ER16 collet. What a weird taper size.

If it doesn't eat up all your wheel head center height, you could make a dumb spacer to go between the radius head and the table. (Or chuck, if you're using a surface grinder in lieu of a tool and cutter grinder.)

If it doesn't eat up all your wheel head center height, you could make a dumb spacer to go between the radius head and the table. (Or chuck, if you're using a surface grinder in lieu of a tool and cutter grinder.)
Maybe. This thing radius tool is pretty complicated in its assembly. The spring bolts underneath are secured in a way that I dont understand. The threaded rod is free to pivot slightly like it's in a ball socket but it's in a casting. Theres no visible screws securing it either. There are grub screws in front of each of them but nothing happens when they're removed. The pivot in the table itself has a bearing and and a precision tapered hole set up in an odd way as well. If I can get those spring retainers out I can set it up fine but i cant figure out how they're mounted

Are you sure the springs wont compress when th device os bolted to the KO leel table?

and then alsological would be a jacking method to bring angle up to flat (90)

For use on the magnetic Chuck of the SG a rectangular flat plate perhap 1" 6x8..to go under the device

Are you sure the springs wont compress when th device os bolted to the KO leel table?

and then alsological would be a jacking method to bring angle up to flat (90)

For use on the magnetic Chuck of the SG a rectangular flat plate perhap 1" 6x8..to go under the device
The springs are preloaded by the threaded rod you can see in the first picture (on the underside) it's to control table tilt. Fully compressed you still have a threaded rod that sticks out of the bottom.

Back