Anyone know anything about Norton hydraulic surface grinders?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Anyone know anything about Norton hydraulic surface grinders?

I have a 6x18 Norton hydraulic grinder and I just had a few questions about it concerning the hydraulics and cant seem to find much info on them elsewhere. Anytime I run the hydraulic table and cross feed it jerks alot when changing directions. Right now the machine is resting on two 4x4 steel square tubes so we can move it with a forklift if necessary (this is my personal machine, the shop I work at just lets me keep it there, but occasionally they need to move things and there really isnt any way to move this thing easily if its sitting on the ground). I understand that its best to keep these things bolted down but until I figure out a way to put it on the ground so it can be moved if needed this is all I can do. Also It makes a strange sucking sound when it changes direction and I dont know if thats normal or if theres an issue somewhere. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like air

it jerks a lot when changing directions

Also It makes a strange sucking sound
    Here is the "suspended" hyd pump in the WW2 version - one assumes it is "suspended" in the hyd. fluid reservoir - which seems to be low on oil if its making 'sucking" noises (actually, this is for an OD grinder - don't know what the SG used)

Hyd. systems work best when there is all fluid and zero entrained air
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pumps.jpg  

3. Likes eKretz liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Sounds like air

Here is the "suspended" hyd pump in the WW2 version - one assumes it is "suspended" in the hyd. fluid reservoir - which seems to be low on oil if its making 'sucking" noises (actually, this is for an OD grinder - don't know what the SG used)

Hyd. systems work best when there is all fluid and zero entrained air
    ill check that, but im pretty sure its full. Could there be air in the system that needs to be purged?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The cylinders have enough volume moving during use to self purge.If the pump is not a submerged unit,some types will suck air around the shaft seal when they harden or wear.It is a low pressure area when the pump is running so will not leak oil.Easy way to check is to squirt some oil around seal while running and hear if the sound changes.Also look into the tank after it has run for awhile and see if the oil looks milky.If so then it is air emulsified ,after it sits for awhile not running then it will clear up.Not all pumps will do that but those that do it is a common problem.

6. Likes Paolo_MD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the hydraulics can also suck in air on the high pressure side. i never understood how thats possible, but mine did.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Air makes them jerk like that. With a Heald I'd always run the table all the way back and forth several times when starting it to get the air out. Same with Landis, run the head in and out and the table back and forth all the way to the ends of travel if possible. Air comes out of solution, leaks around the rod seals, gets into the cylinders in many ways when they go to sleep.

Also levelling the machine helps somewhat, they are designed to have air go out the high spots when the machine is level.

@dian - maybe cavitation in the pump ? Get little bubbles entrained in the fluid, then they collect into one larger bubble at the ends of the cylinders ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

no, it was a seal on the high pressure side of the pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found this on the net. It shows how to set the hydraulic system reverse valve .

http://www.chasgallen.com//wp-conten...ors-Manual.pdf