What's new
What's new

Anyone know the weight of Brown and Sharpe 818 Dial-a-Size

eKretz

Diamond; Mod Squad
I am going to pick up a grinder in the morning and the seller isn't sure on the weight - he estimated 1,500-2,000 pounds. Sound about right? I am thinking at that weight I can just haul it in the bed of the truck.

Additionally, anybody got any experience with these? This one runs and grinds flat but he says as it warms up the hydraulics (table movement, etc.) slow down.

I'm not familiar with the specific machine.
A couple of years ago I've helped moving a Micromaster 618 and I estimated the weight in the neighborhood of 3000-3500 lb

I suspect yours is a bit heavier than that.

Before transporting it, you should do some homework studying how best to tie it down without damaging it: if it's like the Micromaster, there is no traditional saddle, it's the column to move in and out and, by improperly strapping the column, you risk to damage the leadscrew and much more.

Paolo

Thanks. Probably better bring the trailer then. I have looked into transport instructions in the manual that I found online and it mentions placing a block in the machine under the spindle housing and putting a strap clamp over the top of same, but nothing else. I'll make sure to pay close attention to the strap placement.

20191213_150258.jpg

Grabbed the trailer just in case. Glad I did, definitely felt like more than 2,000 pounds behind the truck. Looks like this is just a MicroMaster with a stepper to control head movement. You set the size you want it to hit on the dial and the downfeed increments for rough and finish grinding and it does the rest. Got all the manuals too. Good score for $100.

Back