What's new
What's new

AR5-E/ET Tool Cutter Grinder - help wanted

richo132

Plastic
I recently purchased a well-used and abused AR5-E/ET Tool Cutter Grinder.
It has needed quite a bit of work to return it to operating condition.
I have completely stripped down, cleaned and reassembled it with new bearings to motor and grinding spindle. Also made replacements for all V belt pulleys, the cross feed nut, all the hand wheels and missing pieces of the cable operated traverse mechanism. My attention is now turning to mounting new grinding wheels on the arbors.
IMG_20200104_110842.jpg
I would appreciate any information and especially pictures that describe this. One end of the spindle is tapered and has an 8mm internal thread. I have an arbor that fits on this taper and it also has an 8mm internal thread. However, I would appreciate any advice on the retaining mechanism for this arbor.
IMG_20200104_105438.jpg
The other end of the spindle is an 18mm parallel shaft threaded for 18x1.5 LH nut. This shaft has a 2 step pulley mounted close to the spindle housing but the threaded end was bare when I got the machine. I have made a wheel retaining nut but do not see what this would clamp a wheel to. I would also appreciate any advice on the wheel clamping mechanism for this arbor.
IMG_20200104_105551.jpg

Well, going by Astra Elite AR5-E Tool & Cutter Grinder, specifically the second last picture, it looks like a short piece of threaded rod was inserted into the spindle end and locktite-d in. Other folks will probably have a recommendation on which type of loktite - or, even, which other fastening method - to use.

Find the manual (unfortunately only in french and german) at
Elite AR5-E, AR5-E/ER, ETERNA-80

The manual speaks of "centering bushings" for the straight side.

Hope this helps,

Hans

I allso have a grinder like this, and would like a manual. I can't download the manuals Hans is linking to.
Do I need some sort of account, to download Them?

Back