What's new
What's new

B&S 1236 with control crossfeed issue

malkey

Plastic
Having multiple issues with this machine, one of which is the crossfeed handle will move the head towards the operator but not the other direction.
There is an access panel on the front of the machine where the Y handle would be if it didn't have a driven head, the screw is moving fine.
It is moved too far forward to access the panel over the crossfeed nut.
The other issue I am having is the X traverse does not engage and I think the cause of that is the massive amount of oil leaking from the valve body.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

For the cross feed--there are two handles-- one you turn the other you push or pull to activate the hydraulics to move. Not clear which you are talking about.

For the table longitudinal motion fixing the leak is a good start.

Lost

There is just the one handle for the crossfeed and it has a fine adjustment knob.
The one that is a push/pull is for the table traverse which is the side to side motion.

The hydraulics schematic for the 618 micromaster. grinder is shown below. . It may provide a clue as to what is wrong with the 1236 The cross feed direction valve would be the first thing to check.
The cross feed direction valve, feed control valve, cross feed amount valve, and cross feed truing valve are combined into one valve block on the 618 grinder.

Perhaps someone can post the 1236 hydraulics schematic to eliminate the guess work.

Note: The abbreviation HDWL on the schematic is referring to the handwheel lockout piston.

Last edited:
Update** I have corrected the leak in the valve body by pulling out all the pistons and using scotchbrite to clean up the bores so everything can move freely, reassembled making all 4 new gaskets.

However that has opened up another can of worms...the table the on/off lever is not functioning, I have to manually press in the solenoid valve and the table will take off. The grind/true/rapid selector in the true/rapid position will not move once the block has been pressurized. Could this be leading to the issue with the crossfeed only moving in one direction?

**Update** Selector switch set to rapid and I manually pushed the left solenoid valve in to move the head into the rear so now I am able to access the crossfeed nut. It seems to have a decent amount of wear which would make sense why without the hydraulic pressure pushing on the nut it slips under manual operation in one direction.

Back