What's new
What's new

B&S 510 Table To grind or not to grind

shapeaholic

Stainless
More Newb questions on the 510.

As you can see from the picture, the table (under the chuck) is quite rough and pitted. I discovered this when cleaning the machine, getting ready for some practice jobs.

I know several members cautioned about grinding the table/chuck without some experience, so I'm asking...

Should I gently grind this? Or stone it "smooth"? or scrape it?

Thanks for the advise

Pete
IMG_2679.jpg

If you are really a grinder noob, I would wait. Stone the table top only for now. Practice your grinding a while, then come back to it when you understand what you're doing and the intricacies of grinding a little better. Burning the top of the table could result in warpage that is extremely difficult to fix. Also post a couple better pictures of the table top so we can see how bad it actually is before you do anything with it - the one you posted does not reveal much to my eye. I'd also note that the table is almost certainly cast iron, which is a little more challenging to grind than steel, especially if you're using an aluminum oxide wheel. The wheel will load pretty rapidly and require very frequent dressing.

I'd just stone it smooth and mount your chuck. Then grind the chuck, very sparingly. I always used a red magic marker to mark the chuck so I could see where it was cleaning up and where it needed more grinding. I never ground a chuck to totally clean up any nicks. Just grind it to take off the high spots and true it up.

There is another thread right now that has a lot of good information on grinding chucks.

I too would suggest waiting before grinding and stone it with a fine very fine stone .
Before stoning you could spray a little WD 40 or some Rust Check on the area a let it soak for a while and go over it with some fine steel wool to get help get rid of any rust and then wipe it of with a soft paper towel or rag.
I often use a spritz of WD40 again to help lubricate the stone.
You might want to do the same to the base of the chuck too.
If your grinder has used water mixed coolant of any kind in the past or you plan on using it later your self the moisture will find its way back under there again after a while .
I would suggest wiping a thin smear of Rust Check or similar thin rust inhibiting oil with a paper towel on both chuck and table surfaces and a little more generous with the spray on the relieved areas under the chuck base to keep the corrosion at bay going forward.
Once the chuck is seated you could perhaps give it an occasional spray in through the T slot to help it repel the moisture later on.
I used to get the rust check in a spray can at the garage when I had my vehicle sprayed to use for dealing with other rust issues I but noticed they have had it now for a while at Canadian Tire in Canada and likely other places .
I would imagine there are similar products that would work just as well but It was something I had on hand to use and found it worked for me on another type of grinder I use coolant on.
Rust Check Rust Inhibitor Spray Canadian Tire
Jim

I would use a 6" or 8" stone and with oil figure smooth side 8 evenly, good to imagine a pattern and hone the same number of 8s then move to the next section.

Grinding a set pad with not scraping the ways can open a can of worms.

Buy a good chuck stone and use it only for the chuck..and fine flat work. Never use it for anything other that flat and put it back in the box. honing mill tables first flat-file off the high bugs.

Use junk/common stones for de-bugging and bevels.

Norton Abrasives - St. Gobain 614636855653 IB8 1-by-2-by-8-Inch Fine/Coarse India Combination Oilstone, Red, One Size: Sharpening Stones: Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement

QT Big[ I never ground a chuck to totally clean up any nicks.] Good point, I clean up the flat only.
The chuck is likely the biggest thing you will grind, use an open-wheel no finer than 46, grind wet(spray bottle OK), wheel feel the chuck with a parked dressed wheel to know the starting down feed place. take light feeds and go off at the ends to be sure the chuck is cool with each pass. Know the set place will let you grind the whole chuck. Know the hold-downs set inside the chuck lip edge so not trying to bow the chuck. One hand wrist tight is enough.

All different ways to do thunder chuck.. a light greasing is OK.

Good to make a steel gauge plate 8x 12 x 1/2 0r 5/8 Ok to use as a bench surface plate. learn how to check a part for squarenes.

Back