What's new
What's new

B&S Techmaster 818 Manuals/Crossfeed Only One Way?

Halcohead

Stainless
I have a Brown and Sharpe Techmaster 818 grinder where the hydraulic cross feed only works in one direction (wheel towards operator). The PLC is getting signal from the relevant buttons and the spool valve controlling the crossfeed cylinder seems to work since it's operating normally in the one direction.

Before diving into troubleshooting, does anyone have a manual or hydraulic schematic for this machine?

Thanks in advance!

I have electrical and hydraulic schematics for the 6x18 version. Also have the ladder logic charts and programmers to read or reload the programming. Does it just stop at the end of the limit switch without reversing ?

check your solenoid coils, find the solenoid that does what it should and ohms test those coils, compare your results on the other solenoid coils in question.

I think your hydraulic tank is contaminated, Clean your out your sump and filter your hydraulic fluid after you find the problem

Thanks a lot for the guidance y'all.

Jljim, if you have those digitally, I'd really appreciate a copy of the PDFs. Otherwise I'd be happy to pay you to scan them. Also thanks for mentioning the crossfeed limit switches, I hadn't thought to check them! You're correct, the machine just stops when it hits the limit of the cross travel. Likely stopped by a hydraulic interlock, rather than the PLC commanding a stop.

It turns out someone took the entire limit switch assembly off the machine. So potentially this is an interlock issue in the PLC (the PLC thinks the machine is up against one of the crossfeed limit switch). The column retract button on the control operates properly (lights up and stays lit when pressed, releases when "stop" or "column forward" switch is pressed).

Seems like replacing the limit switch assembly and looking at signals to the PLC are the reasonable next steps.

Without the limit switches in place and functioning, the plc would not know when to actuate the appropriate solenoid. All my technical information is in large printed format, maybe 24x36 or so. It's all original Brown & Sharpe stuff that came with the machine, if you can manually send the column foreword and then reverse, I think the hydraulics are ok. Wire the limit switches back into the system see what happens then.

Back