What's new
What's new

Ball/Spherical Grinding

csharp

Stainless
Does anyone know of a machine for grinding a spherical or half shpere?

It can be done on almost any CNC grinder or a cylindrical if you dress the radius into the wheel. I am assuming the piece is not a complete sphere and you have something to hold on to.

Check the thread on generating a sphere on a mill with a boring head, you can do the same thing with a cup wheel on a jig grinder or ID grinder. if you need a laped finish use a brass lap and lapping compound. hope that helps a bit.
Cheers Don

It can be done on almost any CNC grinder or a cylindrical if you dress the radius into the wheel. I am assuming the piece is not a complete sphere and you have something to hold on to.

Dressing it into the wheel would not be very accurate.

I need to hold .0005"

I will look at a cnc grinder.

Check the thread on generating a sphere on a mill with a boring head, you can do the same thing with a cup wheel on a jig grinder or ID grinder. if you need a laped finish use a brass lap and lapping compound. hope that helps a bit.
Cheers Don

Thanks, I am looking at a setup for production.

This gives me some ideas to think about.

A good quality dresser can be up to the job, I used to run a Studer OD grinder doing sphericals dressed in the wheel +-.0002 on dia .0005 on the rad 2 min per part in orders of 200 pc on a manual grinder mind you. :-) I still kinda like old school stuff
Cheers Don

A good quality dresser can be up to the job, I used to run a Studer OD grinder doing sphericals dressed in the wheel +-.0002 on dia .0005 on the rad 2 min per part in orders of 200 pc on a manual grinder mind you. :-) I still kinda like old school stuff
Cheers Don

Pretty amazing!

Cheers Don
My experience was very similar Don. The company went shopping for a machine that could hold .0001 sphericity. The only builders who would guarantee that were Studer and Kellenberger. They bought the Studer. The dresser alone was over $19,000. It would do it all day long 50-70 parts per dress. It is a rare experience to run a brand new machine like that. Talk about puckered up!!! You just can't be the guy that has that first crash.

Back