What's new
What's new

Been looking at grinding wheels wrong my whole life

Big_Chief

Plastic
I'll start by saying, I'm a moran... seeking some basic education. :nutter:

I use a grinder daily (3/4hp w/ 6 inch wheels). For years, I buy the wheels from Home Depot (Avanti Gen Purpose). I grind thin wall tube (steel and stainless) to remove burrs and some steel flat stock on occasion.

I got a bug up my ass this past year and had enough of the dust and mess, so I started looking into dust collection, which lead me to new machines... which has now led to me re-thinking grinding wheels. <--which I now see, the world of wheels MASSIVELY larger than I thought.

Please help, where do I start with my application? I "thought" Avanti did fine for my work... but now realize there are tons of grades, types, etc.

Last edited:
Okay, let me get some forum etiquette/rules out of this.

In retrospect, I now realize its a BS topic... a vague post and the more I keep searching I found the info.

I also get the grand prize HF part... I know their stuff isn't top shelf, I buy random tools (usually when in a bind) and use them until they break... oddly, the grinder actually lasted 10 years.

Help me understand the mention of J*T though... does this have to do with advertiser forum rules? Or something with quality like HF?

[h=3]
sticky.gif
Sticky: Machinery Discussion Guidelines[/h]

If you are using a grinder to deburr, you are using the wrong tool to begin with.

the belt and drum sanders are the go-to units for deburring

Back