What's new
What's new

Belt grinder wheels size help!

Lovenvik

Plastic
Hi, im new here and i wonder if some one could help me with my project.

Im building a 2x72 belt grinder and i a hard time figure out witch motor and what size of wheel/roller i shuld

What i have today is:
400v 3kW 1430 rpm motor
230v 1,1 kW 910 rpm motor
3” drive wheel that fits the 400v motor
2” track/tension wheel
Two 2” idler Wheels

Will that setup works if im using the 400v motor? Shuld i use the 230v motor instead ? Shuld i replace any wheel with different size ?
Im gonna use the grider for metall work only and in the future i will buy a VFD.
The motor will drive the drive wheel directly on axel, no pullys or belts.
Sorry for bad english but hey, what to do.
Best regard, Robin

I think you will want a much larger drive wheel, or a different motor. Mine uses a 3,600 RPM motor and a 4" drive wheel, which I think is fairly typical for a 2x72 belt grinder.

Regards.

Mike

I run a 8" wheel on a 1400 rpm motor, but i run the motor upto 150hz on with a VFD, do the maths and work out the belt speed.

Okej, tanks for the info ! So u mean that with the 8 inch wheel the Speed was a bitt to high? Im new to the grinding area so i have no clue how fast the belt shuld spin or by the way how to calculate it.

Typically you are shooting for 4000 to 5000 feet per minute. So 4500fpm/1430rpm = 3.14 foot circumference wheel or 1 foot diameter. Most folks use a faster motor and a smaller wheel.

Oh, thats a 12” wheel, pretty massive. Maby i have to consider to buy a higher rpm motor then.

If you are stuck with the 3" drive wheel, it needs to turn 5729.6 RPM to make the belt travel at 4500 feet per minute

A 6" drive wheel would be half as fast, or 2864 RPM - near your 2 pole speed on 50 Hz

Your 1430 RPM motor is 4 pole

Think I would find a 3400 motor so the SFPM might be perhaps 4500 and 5500 with having a double pulley that would be a reasonable size. What is your aim as many are over the counter for a reasonable price.

Still nothing wrong with making your own design.
Plenty of free and low cost plans on the net
Plans for 2"x72" Knife Grinder/Sander No welding required | BladeForums.com

Some belt grinders have a tilt arbor to keep the belt centered on the back plate.sides because it is so easy to get a finger under a belt on the go-side. We sometimes added a radius to the belt rollers to keep belt centered.
No I never made one from scratch but did restore a few that went out of whack.
Guess I would go to a sales place and have a good look-see then design off existing design and my improvements.

As for the one in the link I provided the table is way to light..chatter of work set in that table likely to chtter and waste abrasive from the belt.

And.. likely a tilt table would be handy

I would also consider doing the math of how much power you can transfer safely through the sanding belt: it's probably better to stall the motor before snapping the belt. I suspect that a 3 kW motor is way too much for a 2" belt..

Paolo

Thank you all for all information. I think i got it all coveres now! The whole build is bretty much done so this was tha last pice.

Back