What's new
What's new

Bench Grinder Brake Repair?

tomfrommv

Plastic
Hi -- I have an oldie-but-goodie grinder (7" Rockwell/Delta 3/4hp 1ph 120/240v). Works great but the brake has stopped working. How does the brake work and how do I fix it? Is it a resistor inside the motor case or what? Thanks for your help!!

Hi -- I have an oldie-but-goodie grinder (7" Rockwell/Delta 3/4hp 1ph 120/240v). Works great but the brake has stopped working. How does the brake work and how do I fix it? Is it a resistor inside the motor case or what? Thanks for your help!!

I have one of these - picked up for $15 at a garage sale in Wisconsin eons ago. Great grinder, cast iron guards, very heavy, incredibly smooth. But it has a brake? I never realized that... must not be working on mine either ... takes ages to spin down. Isn't there the danger of unthreading the wheels while braking?

I have one of these - picked up for $15 at a garage sale in Wisconsin eons ago. Great grinder, cast iron guards, very heavy, incredibly smooth. But it has a brake? I never realized that... must not be working on mine either ... takes ages to spin down. Isn't there the danger of unthreading the wheels while braking?

You're right I'm wrong -- took it apart and there is NO brake. Everything looks real nice though. My mistake, in hindsight, was this: it used to slow down real nice, but then I installed a new grind stone; with the new grindstone (more flywheel mass) it now coasts forever. Good to go for another 70 years!

I wonder if changing the switch to one that shorted the motor leads
when turned off would slow the motor faster.

If that works, it will generate a big inductive current surge and burn out the switch contacts. And maybe unthread the grinding wheel. Neither would be good.

Back