What's new
What's new

Bench Grinding Wheel

PegroProX440

Hot Rolled
What is your bench grinding wheel of choice for sharpening HSS drills. Not that I do it often anymore since most drills are carbide but I sharpen like one a week.

At my last shop I have no idea what the wheel was but it worked good. Both wheels on this grinder seem to be too coarse compared to what I am use to.

What grit and what style works best?

I use a pink colored wheel (forgot grit #). And it is soft as wheels go.
In my sharpening softer wheels make things come out better.

I second the pink (RA abrasive) choice for HSS.

On a 12" 1800 rpm grinder I have a 24/36 porus blend on the coarse side and a 60 grit on the other. The bond is pretty soft. That said this is HSS only. Both came from Eagle Grinding Wheel Corp in Chicago upon their suggestion. It's been a great combination. Custom wheels, not cheap but worth evey penny in terms of productivity. Grinding mostly M2 M4 and T15

IF someone needs a general purpose grinder they can step up to the belt machine or the ubiquitios 8" baldor with a norton "brown wheel" which is cooler cutting than the stones Baldor ships with.

But to be honest no one used the 8" Baldor once we got the 2" x 72" belt machine on a VFD. Pick your belt and dial up your Speed (0 - 5600 sfm) platen or contact wheel.

My pink wheel was obtained from Molemab Abrasives when they had a warehouse in Mountain View, CA.
I could go through the shelves and browse. The 10" wheel is now a 7" wheel.
Very important to grind over the wheel evenly as much as possible. It will take less time to dress
and the dress operation will remove the least amount.

Back