Best tool for quickly cleaning up cuts on tubing
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Best tool for quickly cleaning up cuts on tubing

My business is centered around cutting lots of 1/16" wall tubing in diameters from 1/2" to 1" and lengths from 1.5 inches to 6 feet - 6061 and 6063 aluminum, 4043 steel, and carbon fiber. I'm happy with my saw but the cuts still need a quick grind to smooth out the sharp edges. I've been using a $200 12" table top disc sander for years and it works fine, but am upgrading some tools and wondering if there is a better/quicker tool for the job that I should consider. Less than $1000 preferred but open to anything. Thanks!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by skiffe View Post
    My business is centered around cutting lots of 1/16" wall tubing in diameters from 1/2" to 1" and lengths from 1.5 inches to 6 feet - 6061 and 6063 aluminum, 4043 steel, and carbon fiber. I'm happy with my saw but the cuts still need a quick grind to smooth out the sharp edges. I've been using a $200 12" table top disc sander for years and it works fine, but am upgrading some tools and wondering if there is a better/quicker tool for the job that I should consider. Less than $1000 preferred but open to anything. Thanks!
    I am thinking a "square/debur end finishing machine is about
    Tube / Pipe End Finishing Machines – PHI
    But likely don't make the price you are hoping for, it might be worth contacting a few makers of such machines to get some samples and cycle times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First cut with zero burr

I used to use a countersink and then a stone with an internal taper, but I was only doing small qty and that was a long time ago, and then only for the stuff that could not go in the vibratory tumbler

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are tube ID and OD deburring tools. A bunch of companies make them. I used to have a deburring tool that had both ID and OD tools, McM 4289A78.

There are also bits that will do both at once. e.g. Tube End Deburring Cutters - Somma Tool Company. I haven't used that brand, it's just an example

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's the $20 solution: DEB200 | Deburring Tool - Inner / Outer | Reed Manufacturing

You could chuck it up in something stationary. Strip down a couple mini lathes and put foot pedals on them, Could be done for 1000

guest Guest

Severance has a line of rod end cutters for deburring and chamfering tubing.

http://www.severancetool.com/pdf/Sev...Tube_Tools.pdf

I have one of those sensi-threaders setup on a workbench for this. I just crank it down so it doesn't reverse- put the chamfer tool in the chuck and hold the tubes by hand. Takes under an hour to do 100 SS tubes this way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the input. I looked at the ideas and didn't see anything that looked like it did the light work I need better/quicker than the disc sander. Hand tools are definitely not what I'm looking for (we already use an ID deburrer). We can easily do a couple hundred tubes in an hour. I guess at this point I'm wondering if a disc sander, which works, is better than a belt sander (never used one).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by skiffe View Post
    Thanks for the input. I looked at the ideas and didn't see anything that looked like it did the light work I need better/quicker than the disc sander. Hand tools are definitely not what I'm looking for (we already use an ID deburrer). We can easily do a couple hundred tubes in an hour. I guess at this point I'm wondering if a disc sander, which works, is better than a belt sander (never used one).
    Depending on the quality/size of the belt sander, it will somewhat "warp" and wrap around (if that makes sense) the tubing, possibly making it better, or worse...?

If you can do 200 or so in an hour, sounds like you got it downpat with what you are doing. But I think you are missing the point about the id/od tools. Mount one of those bits in a drill chuck (could use a zip tie to keep it powered on?), or variable rpm motor, insert tube, zip, flip, zip... maybe even rig a stop so they are consistent in size.....?

9. Likes skiffe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Depending on the quality/size of the belt sander, it will somewhat "warp" and wrap around (if that makes sense) the tubing, possibly making it better, or worse...?

If you can do 200 or so in an hour, sounds like you got it downpat with what you are doing. But I think you are missing the point about the id/od tools. Mount one of those bits in a drill chuck (could use a zip tie to keep it powered on?), or variable rpm motor, insert tube, zip, flip, zip... maybe even rig a stop so they are consistent in size.....?
    This does sound like a good idea for the ID that we are still using a hand debur tool. I'll check them out again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do not know what bandsaw you have but for production you place your deburrer in line with the bandsaw
    Like this
    SCD-90 - Brush deburring machine - Connected Processing Equipment - Bewo Cutting Systems B.V. - Waalwijk

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ordered an ID and an OD tool bit to give it a try - thanks!