What's new
What's new

Blanchard 32-60 Spindle Heating Up

Tunash

Plastic
Hi Guys,

Since you were so helpful with my first post on this forum I figured I would try again.

On one of our 32-60 Blanchard grinders, the operator has noticed that the machine is running hotter than what he is used to. It seems to be getting hot near the lower spindle bearing area. The highest temperature I saw was 167 F.

The operator also said he hears a different noise than he is used to. I really don't hear much, but he runs the machine five days a week, so I'm sure his ears are more in tune with his machine than mine.

We have checked to make sure that grease is getting to the bearing. We made sure the fan above the spindle motor was clear and functional. We made sure that there is no swarf build up between the Faceplate and the wheel guard.

I am thinking that the bearing may be on its way out, but I don't want to take any drastic measures unless I am sure that it is a bearing issue. The bearings are crazy expensive, but it is a busy machine that makes us money everyday.

If you guys have any other suggestion of things for me to check I would appreciate it, or if you think I'm on the right track with the bearings.

On the drawing it looks like the lower bearing can be changed without pulling the spindle. I imagine if one is going the other may not be far behind. It looks like you need to pull everything to change the upper bearing.

Upper bearing has less load and isn't exposed to debris as the lower one is, which probably explains why the builder made the lower bearing easier to change out.

A mechanic's stethoscope or a long screwdriver with the blade on the housing and the handle (carefully) held to the ear can pinpoint noise. If you have a similar machine in good working order you can do A-B comparisons.

Upper bearing has less load and isn't exposed to debris as the lower one is, which probably explains why the builder made the lower bearing easier to change out.

A mechanic's stethoscope or a long screwdriver with the blade on the housing and the handle (carefully) held to the ear can pinpoint noise. If you have a similar machine in good working order you can do A-B comparisons.

Thanks Milland,

I just ordered a mechanics stethoscope. I've always used the "screwdriver to ear" method, but I don't want to lean in there when the spindle is running.

On the Blanchard design you grease the bottom bearing and the grease acts as a seal to keep coolant out. Possibly you have just introduced too much grease in the bottom bearing. Since this is a slow RPM spindle, I think the 60" has a 460 rpm spindle, so I would really not worry about this too much.

This is of course unless you are getting odd noise or you are seeing issues with your grind pattern, i.e. wash out on your corners where you would never see this before, not holding size ect.

I would look more towards the air cooling vents for your spindle, is the top clear where the air is drawn in? Then are all areas clear where the air exits?

I assume your 60" is a barrel head? On our 84" when we are doing heavy grinding the spindle does get very warm, it is noticeable. This is when we are grinding 100% ML for hours on end.

Thanks Guys,

I guy from FP Miller got back to me yesterday afternoon with some helpful information. He told me that the heat we are seeing is well within the acceptable range. The highest I saw was 167 F. He said not to get worried unless we are seeing temperatures of 200 or more. He mentioned that at 250 degrees the bearing can start to loose its temper and that's when damage will start to occur.

We did check to see that the cooling vents are clear and the fan is working. I am going to continue to monitor the machine. I am thinking that it may have just been the job the operator was working on was generating more heat than what he is used to. Of course he doesn't like that answer.

Temp is not excessive yet but what temp did it use to run?
The "It is making a funny or different noise" is one thing I do pay attention to but if a different than normal job then new noises occur.
If same oh same run and the operator tells me this usually it is a sign even if I don't really hear it yet.
In any grease lubed system mixing different types of greases can cause problems. Hopefully you stick to one in this bearing.
In places with multiple grease guns and types color coding them and the fittings is helpful. Then of course you will run into color-blind employees......:wall:
Bob

Back