What's new
What's new

Boyar Schultz H618 Need Help Identifying Unusual Model

phillip

Plastic
Just picked up this surface grinder and need help identifying the model so I can get a manual. Searching the internet, all I see are the Boyar Schultz Challenger and Deluxe models. I have not seen one picture that looks like this style. Is this newer or older then the Challenger model or was it produced at the same time? From what I can tell the Challenger model had a separate hydraulic unit on the outside. This is internal and has the control knobs on the front for X and Y movement for grinding and Y movement for wheel dressing. The motor in underneath with a single v belt to drive the spindle. The Boyar Schultz information tag on the side only says H618 for the model. My main information need is an electrical diagram. The wheel head and hydraulic motor contactors pull in but drop out as soon as you let go of the push button. I am guessing there may be a permissive for running based on fluid level or maybe filter differential. I can always trace out the wiring and figure it out that way. It would be nice to have the manual though. Are there any companies that sell parts for Boyar Schultz and may also have the correct manual?

Attachments

• Boyar Schultz 618.jpg
    Boyar Schultz 618.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 813
  • IMG-20130601-00177.jpg
    IMG-20130601-00177.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 504
OK, it looks like I have a rear and valuable Boyar Schultz surface grinder. Well maybe just rear. From the lack of response, it doesn’t look like anyone else has seen this model. The S/N is H-876. When did Boyar Schultz stop making grinders? Who sell parts for them?

Are there any companies that sell parts for Boyar Schultz and may also have the correct manual?

About eighteen years ago I bought parts for a Boyar-Schultz H-612 from Federal-Bryant Machinery Company, which seemed to have parts lists and documentation to cross B-S part numbers to industry standard numbers for bearings, etc. However, google just brings up business listings that claim "defunct" and the docket of a state tax evasion case. :cryin:

Good luck.

Dennis

I've got a twin to yours and also could'nt find any information on this model. It does grind well and is accurate.

Would be nice to have a manual for it, but for the $150 I gave for it how do you pass on that?

The one Brian provided the link to (thanks by the way Brian) stated HYDRAULIC POWERED LONG. TABLE SPEED .... 0 TO 50' FPM and AUTOMATIC CROSS FEED INCREMENT PER TABLE PASS.... 0 TO 5/32". Modelman can you adjusted the speed on yours? How is it done? I have a knob to turn to adjust the cross feed speed. Don’t see anything for longitude feed speed. Only the lever to turn the feed on or off. I havent hooked this grinder up yet. I have a 1929 Brown and Sharp #2 I need to part out to make room for the Boyar Schultz.

longitudinal speed control

The one Brian provided the link to (thanks by the way Brian) stated HYDRAULIC POWERED LONG. TABLE SPEED .... 0 TO 50' FPM and AUTOMATIC CROSS FEED INCREMENT PER TABLE PASS.... 0 TO 5/32". Modelman can you adjusted the speed on yours? How is it done? I have a knob to turn to adjust the cross feed speed. Don’t see anything for longitude feed speed. Only the lever to turn the feed on or off. I havent hooked this grinder up yet. I have a 1929 Brown and Sharp #2 I need to part out to make room for the Boyar Schultz.

The same lever that starts the table also controls the speed.
Remember when you start yours up that there are two start buttons, one starts just the wheel for manual grinding. This is used in conjunction with the detent under the right side of the table to disengage the end of the hydraulic cylinder from the table. Makes cranking the table back and forth a lot easier. The other starts the wheel and hydraulics.

serial #

Thanks Cody, I was expecting a knob like the crossfeed. What serial number is yours. Sorry Modelman I had ment to direct that question in post #6 to Cody and copied the wrong name.

The serial no. on mine is H-796.

hit the wrong post for quote. Anyway I zoomed in on your pic and I do see a couple differences, it looks like your disconnect for the cylinder is on top of the table and it also looks like your cross feed hand wheel has the adjustable graduated ring.

Looks like it was made in 1966
Machine Type: Heavy Duty Hydraulic Surface
Grinders
Model/Size: 6" x 18"
1953 ............................................................. H‐502
1956 ............................................................. H‐600
1957 ............................................................. H‐650
1959 ............................................................. H‐700
1961 ............................................................. H‐750
1963 ............................................................. H‐800
1966 ............................................................. H‐850
1967 ............................................................. H‐898