What's new
What's new

Bridgeport/Harig 612 lubricant?

crashtestdummy

Hot Rolled
I have a Bridgeport/Harig 612 that is in need of way oil. The manual says to use "a standard 150 to 225 SUS viscosity way oil". All that I have is Vactra #2 with an SSU of 310. Is there a substitute oil that I might be able to find locally?

I only need a gallon at the most, not a 5 gallon bucket that I can get from MSC or Enco.

Can't say I have heard of a Bridgeport/Harig surface grinder.

Harig recomends buying way oil directly from them for surface grinders. Particularly if you are using coolant. Regular way oil turns to a gel if contaminated with coolant and will not pump through the Harig lub system.

The Harig way oil comes in gallon jugs and runs about $40/gal.

Jim

Can't say I have heard of a Bridgeport/Harig surface grinder.

Harig recomends buying way oil directly from them for surface grinders. Particularly if you are using coolant. Regular way oil turns to a gel if contaminated with coolant and will not pump through the Harig lub system.

The Harig way oil comes in gallon jugs and runs about $40/gal.

Jim

I'm calling it a Bridgeport/Harig because that's the title on the manual. The only name I can find on the machine anywhere is Harig on the lubrication label on the back.

We don't use coolant, and the machine may sit for a month or 2 without being used.

They recommended lighter weight oil so it can more easily be pumped up through the top continuously. The stock little pump doesn't have much power and a very low head.

Under a 2 shift per day operation the stock pump will die in about a year with heavier oil. Even with lighter oil they are only good for about 3 years of heavy use. I've replaced at least 10 pumps over the years.
Bob

I have run Harig surface grinders for 35 years and never replaced an oil pump. Hope I never do. I heard they cost around $450. Also, our Harigs did not run all day for two shifts. My surface grinder runs a couple of hours per week.

Jim

Last edited:
Don't use Vactra #2 way lube, it's way to thick. Order a gallon from Harig and be done with it. Even if you change the oil every year, it will last you a while. Harig will not tell you anything to substitute, believe me I tried getting that info from them every service school I attended when I worked for Bridgeport. At the time Harig was owned by Bridgeport. Check other Harig post here, Look for Jim Saylor, he supports Harig products and is very knologable. He should be, he was there service manager for years. He can tell you how to set the pump output. You have a good solid grinder there, take care of it.
Bill

I have a Harig 612 that I use only occasionally. When I got it about 11 years ago, I put Vactra 4 in it. I always wondered why it was a little hard to crank. I used Parker Majestics for years and the Harig was not that bad. After joining this forum and reading some of the posts, I checked out my grinder and found that it would not pump the Vactra 4. With a little research I believe it should have the Harig way oil or Vactra 1. I cleaned out the sump and put some ATF in to flush out the old stuff. It pumps just fine! I was surprised at how nice the table runs. What is wrong with using ATF for a machine that is used only occasionally?

I have a Harig 612 that I use only occasionally. When I got it about 11 years ago, I put Vactra 4 in it. I always wondered why it was a little hard to crank. I used Parker Majestics for years and the Harig was not that bad. After joining this forum and reading some of the posts, I checked out my grinder and found that it would not pump the Vactra 4. With a little research I believe it should have the Harig way oil or Vactra 1. I cleaned out the sump and put some ATF in to flush out the old stuff. It pumps just fine! I was surprised at how nice the table runs. What is wrong with using ATF for a machine that is used only occasionally?

Nothing wrong with using ATF in your Harig. I have for 20 years. No problems. When it gets funky from coolant. Change it out. 30 minute procedure. And cheap. If ATF was OK for Hardinge HLV carriages, I always felt OK for Harig. 20 years later....still running fine.

Back