What's new
What's new

Brown and Sharp 618 Micromaster Help!

lethal375

Aluminum
I just purchased this grinder.
Seen it run but did not actually use it.
The manual that came with it is for a plain 618 but mine has additional controls?

This unit has auto Y axis feed.
I CAN NOT feed the Y axis manually while the table is in motion?
If I stop the table with the speed control I can manually feed.

Controls have rapid for Z and Y but it wont rapid in Y?
There is a small push pull lever between the Y and Z dials that seems to switch the rapid?

Maybe someone with experience can help me out?6182.jpg

Anyone know of machine rebuilders that may know more about these grinders?
Keep looking for a manual and cant seem to find the correct one

Try vintagemachinery.org they have many manuals available for download with more being added on a regular basis. Good luck.

Hmm, that push/pull knob is a new one on me. That appears to be a Series 2, correct? Anyway, it's normal not to be able to manually feed the cross while the table is in motion if you have the power feed engaged and the table is moving. (I think you are asking about the cross feed, right? That's actually 'Z' axis, not 'Y'). Hydraulic pressure disengages the split nut on the cross screw when the table is set in longitudinal motion. There will be a setting to put the machine in manual mode so that the handwheel doesn't get disengaged when the table throttle is turned on, but it's usually on the right side of the machine on the side about a foot below the bottom of the table.

It might help to pull that front lower inspection cover off and add some more photos of where that knob is connected if you can. I'm fairly familiar with the control systems on these so I can probably tell you what it does if you add the photos. As I mentioned, I am used to seeing a rotary knob at the right of the machine on the side to select/engage cross feed/rapid/dress. It may be that your machine uses that front knob instead, maybe due to that electrical switchbox that would perhaps make it difficult to reach around the side. Does it seem to have only two positions (in/out) or three (in/mid/out)?

The knob is only a two position.
I removed the covers and cant see the back side of the push-pull without a mirror, I will get a mirror today.
Also the fine adjust knob does not work no matter what I try?
Wiring diagram shows a "clutch solenoid" with the "manual/auto switch" and in the electrical box the coresponding wires do power up when in the manual mode.
So the way I see it the working is that the only way you get manual operation is when there is no hyd pressure to the clutch.
Machine off, manual works.
Machine on and table stopped "hyd is cut to clutch" and manual works
Hydraulic release and spring applied clutch.
But the power on or off to the clutch solenoid "with the manual switch" does nothing to change machine operation?
I am pretty good with this kind of stuff but hate to dig in too deep without the proper manual describing proper operation.
There is a lot of hydraulics inside this machine and several hyd solenoids which are hard to get to so testing is tricky.
I hate going in blind unless things are in the open and easy to work around
I do hear a faint click when switching

The fine adjust should work when you tighten down the smaller black knurled knob on the front of the dial. If it doesn't then something is loose or broken. If that's the case, you'll need to disassemble the handle to find out. Those handles are a little different than what I'm used to also. I haven't seen that style before. The attached is what I'm used to seeing.

And yeah the manual cross feed should only work when the valve is in the correct position, otherwise hydraulic pressure is routed to disengage it while the table is in motion. Do you have the rotary knob on the right side of the machine like the one I circled in red in the last image?

20191213_142342.jpg

20211030_144953.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I do have the same controls down on side.
The Head adjust wheel can be engaged and disengaged by loosening or tightening the center knob.
When knob is loose the handle and fine adjust will not work.
So the cross feed will not engage when I tighten that knob. Looks like that's where the problem is.
I still think there is supposed to be rapid cross feed?
Found a company called Bourn-Kotch Inc. they claim to be a B&S factory parts dealer. I have submitted a request for a manual(s) and or any info regarding operation/parts break down.

I see in your pic that there is a black plug in the spot where I have the push-pull

eKretz
Have you ever had that entire handle assembly off?
With the center knob removed the handle will not slide off?
Don't see any additional bolts or set screws?
Pulled the five socket head cap screws that hold the entire assembly on to main frame it does not seem to move?
Now I did not get very aggressive, without knowing how it should come apart

Yes I have, the handwheels are a little bit of a snug fit to the shaft, probably close to a metal to metal fit. I used a puller to remove mine. Don't try to pull the cover until the handle is off, it won't come off with the handle in the way without further disassembly inside the machine.

Yes I do have the same controls down on side.
The Head adjust wheel can be engaged and disengaged by loosening or tightening the center knob.
When knob is loose the handle and fine adjust will not work.
So the cross feed will not engage when I tighten that knob. Looks like that's where the problem is.
I still think there is supposed to be rapid cross feed?
Found a company called Bourn-Kotch Inc. they claim to be a B&S factory parts dealer. I have submitted a request for a manual(s) and or any info regarding operation/parts break down.

I see in your pic that there is a black plug in the spot where I have the push-pull

Yes that's why I need to see where that knob connects/goes. Your machine is a little different than mine - mine is a Dial-A-Size, sort of like a precursor to a CNC machine, runs off logic controls. However, the inside valve blocks are mostly the same between machines from what I've seen. You have both knobs on the side? Here's a little better picture. One controls cross feed stepover amount (that's the one you describe tightening down, it's the upper round knob in the attached photo), the other is a 3-postion knob with a pointer that controls selection of feed/rapid/dress (bottom in photo). Since you don't have Dial-A-Size your selector knob may be elsewhere. I was thinking maybe it was the one by the handwheel. Behind that plug on my machine is just a bearing that supports the shaft that drives the spindle up and down.

20211031_124445.jpg

The other question is whether your machine can be manually cross fed with the table running. Possibly it is not set up that way? Maybe you can only do so when manually cranking the longitudinal travel? It would probably not be that difficult to add that capability if that's the case.

Last edited:
Quick Update!

Bourn and Kotch says they have never seen a B&S grinder setup like mine?
Can't find any manuals for it either.

Most of the problem is with the center knob and after digging in a little deeper I found a problem with the two dowel pins that engage the had wheel when the center knob is tightened.

Making replacements and at least that part will work

It is a little unusual, but only in the handwheels (those are inch/metric I take it?) and the small black knob. Everything else looks to be the usual. Got a photo of the entire machine from the front?

I can't understand what that knob would be doing there unless your machine doesn't use the same shaft setup for the head elevation as mine. On my grinder there would be no room for anything there, as it's the bearing and end of the shaft with a hypoid gear for elevation. That shaft on my grinder runs from that spot on the front cover all the way to the back of the machine where a stepper motor drives it. Definitely interesting.

Wonder if CarbideBob might have any insight.

I have looked from the back side with a mirror and it does not protrude inside the main frame.

Would need to remove that entire piece.

That knob engages/disengages the "height" rapid but seems to have multiple positions?

I did get the handle and fine adjust to work. There are two dowel pins that are pushed in when the center knob is tightened and they had been replaced/modified, swapped them out with the ones from the height adjust handle and it works.
They are just plain .1875x.750 solid dowel pins.

Back