Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Brown & sharpe surface grinder

Im looking at a surface grinder and i was wanting some feedback on what i should look for before making the purchase and also what is a good price for this unit. Photo of post attached. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot_20190408-010808_chrome.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can't comment on prive I'm the wrong side of the Pond. Can the seller show it running ? What is the surface finish like ? Can he show you making a simple flat part ground and checked on a surface table ? Or maybe a better test ? Can you go to see the machine ? How clean is it ? What is the drive belt condition ? A nice belt maybe not new indicates care. He can deliver that's a bonus if the price is right. It looks old, what parts are available what can your make yourself ? Don't rush to buy, take your time,there is always another possibly better machine around the corner.

3. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I feel its a pretty old one. Iv seen some nice no2 models that appear to be a newer version. Hes currently asking 750.00 for it. And i do agree on ur assessment of taking my time. There always seems to be someone selling one. Im just looking for a decent starter one thats not gonna break the bank atm. Thanks for your reply

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Few simple things.. is you have a long parallel that is dead flat you can set it on the honed chuck closest to you and give it a few hand half turns long way to see of he last chuck grind made a flat chuck..you can dress the wheel to see if the spindle can give a good finish. You can ask if it will grind a near flat part--how flat? You can set the parked wheel on a wood block and down feed to see the free play in the down feed.

You can set a flat parallel on the chuck shimmed to zero/zero and run a tenths indicator across long travel and across cross travel..

Crank the cross to see that free play but some very good machines have free play there.

In top condition a world class grinder. still today likely not a better grinder made. but condition is king.
    price if fair..You can find that grinder from 200 to 2,000 (yes 2000 would be near mint.)