What's new
What's new

Brown and Sharpe 510 refurb help

Brandenberger

Hot Rolled
Hi,

Still working on my B&S 510 surface grinder. Turned a set of rollers to replace the worn ones from TGP rod stock, which seems to work nicely.

Now I'm fixing the table travel wear issues.

There are two issues:

- the table travel drum (cast iron wheel driven by the table travel lever on the front of the machine) has worn badly as it meets with the locking shoe. The surface where the shoe contacts the wheel is eccentric now by maybe .028" per side, and at its thinnest area the cast iron is about .217". It looks like the table was moved over a fairly short range for a long time in two different spots about 180degrees apart.

- the table drive locking shoe is also badly worn... it appears to essentially be a stiff spring with a copper or brass slug brazed on one end. The soft portion was worn through completely, resulting in the steel of the spring dragging on the drum and wearing it. Since it was essentially a pipe pushing against a cylinder tangentially, it also wore a rounded profile into the mating area (see picture).

I'm going to braze on another piece to the shoe, that's no problem.

My question is whether I dare turn down the cast iron drum mating area so it is cylindrical again? That would probably leave it .200" or so.

This drum locking area only sees the force from the lock screw, used to add drag to the table travel, as well as when locking the table in place for truing the grinding wheel.

If I don't turn it down, the shoe will drag unevenly, making it pretty useless except as a table lock. On the other hand I don't want to weaken it so much the remaining flange cracks and I'd then have to bore it out and mate a piece of steel to it to replace that section of the part.

Thanks,
Phil

Attachments

• image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 103
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 106
Well I went ahead and turned the cast iron
concentric... no problems. Silver soldered a
Brass slug on the locking shoe.