What's new
What's new

Brown and Sharpe 814U vs No13?

Brandenberger

Hot Rolled
Hi,
I've been looking at some cylindrical grinders, and see a few B&S No 13s
and 814U's around. If anyone is familiar with them, I have a few questions:

- is the major difference that the No13 has vertical column travel, while the 814U does not?
- are the fold-down ID grinding attachments compatible between the two?

I know there were various generations of No 13's, I'm primarily thinking of the
newer generations with anti-friction bearings, etc. I'm wondering if a No 13 and
814U are parts-interchangeable with the exception of the main column?

For me the machine would be used for ID/OD and hopefully with enough accessories that
it could be a T&C grinder for various cutters.

Thanks,
Phil

Not only the 13s wheel head can change verticle position, but it can also change rotational swing. With this one can flat dress the wheel and then rotate to put a needed angle on a part.

With 814U one angle dresses the wheel to angle so not a big deal but so doing will use more wheels.

Good to have standard wheels like a 45* wheel dressed on both sides so a quick wheel change can provide an often needed angle.

The 13 allows use of cup wheels so making cotter grinding easier, and the vertical allows wheel placement above and below center so abiding tool tooth clearance easier. With that, one can hole he took flat and use the wheel arc for clearance.

The universal needs bump and tarry to do a 90* shoulder with the side of the wheel (sometimes dressed dished) on that side. The 13 can be dresses and then come into a shoulder with the wheel OD on the 90 shoulder.

Thanks. The No 13 certainly sounds more flexible.

With regard to wear issues for the table ways, from what I see both machines are flat/v-way sliding tables, not roller-ways like some of the other B&S machines?

-Phil

I tend to agree. My B&S Micromaster is 54 years old. It's still in incredible shape and produces quality work.

Back