What's new
What's new

Brown and Sharpe cylindrical grinding attachment No. 616, manual wanted

I'm not sure what's to explain above and beyond the link you already provided. The text and photos seem pretty self-explanatory. Do you have particular questions about it? I'd be really very surprised if B&S ever provided more info about it than what was in the marketing brochure.

Frankly, if the op is not able to reason out how to set up and use the device by looking at it, he is likely better off not trying. Cylindrical grinding CAN be somewhat dangerous.

I'm not sure what's to explain above and beyond the link you already provided. The text and photos seem pretty self-explanatory. Do you have particular questions about it? I'd be really very surprised if B&S ever provided more info about it than what was in the marketing brochure.

The manual I am looking for is the one below, I have only been able to find a picture of the cover online:

Attachments

• IMG_3464.jpg
    IMG_3464.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 74
Frankly, if the op is not able to reason out how to set up and use the device by looking at it, he is likely better off not trying. Cylindrical grinding CAN be somewhat dangerous.

Red James,
I am sorry, I thought the definition of a Forum was a place for people to exchange information, knowledge and expertise. I did not know it was a place to judge people on the requests they make.

For your information, I am an engineer of 30 years and a self taught machinist, am I an expert in all things machinist, no, can I work out a gage block stack for a sine plate, of course.

I find the original guides for obsolete equipment a wealth of gained knowledge and excellent advice, it is the first thing I try to acquire when I find a new piece of equipment. For instance can most people operate a South Bend lathe? Probably, but the publication "How to run a lathe" by SB is a classic source of valuable information for the operation of all lathes including I would venture,modern CNC equipment.

Perhaps you should inform Keith Rucker that his excellent website Vintagemachinery.org or Tony's Lathes.co.uk are a total waste of time and os no interest to anyone and they would be "better off not trying" to do anything with anything?!

Last edited:
Ballen, thank you, that is the brochure i am looking for. If nobody has one to share I will get one from Tony.
There might be something with it when it arrives but there was nothing mentioned in the description.

Ballen, thank you, that is the brochure i am looking for.

You're welcome, but I am surprised because I thought that was just a catalog, whereas what you are after is a "setup and use" manual.

Three of my metalworking machines (Deckel FP2 mill, Studer RHU-450 cylindrical grinder, Logan lathe) are from the early- or mid-1960s. I have collected as much literature as I can find for them, meaning manuals, catalogs, technical sheets, and brochures. This has been useful in many ways. For your B&S 616, I would want to know how the bearings are meant to be lubricated/maintained, and take care of that before using it.

Back