What's new
What's new

Can anyone tell me if this label is referring to grease or oil?

Btriquetra

Plastic
There is a grease zerk directly below this label, but the image looks like a oil drop.
Can anyone here clarify this for me?

Thank you for your time,
Bradd

Attachments

• zerk.jpg
    zerk.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 150
Unfortunately, I don't have the manual.
It is located on the back of a Chevalier wet surface grinder.
It looks like it lubricates one of the ways.
The model number for the surface grinder is FSG-1632ADIII

Thanks for your time M.B. Naegle.

No telling for certain, but our Elliott 8x20 surface grinder has grease fittings for the vertical ways and the manual says to use a heavy way oil. The previous operators had been pumping in axle grease into them so I flushed them out and swapped the fittings out for oil cups.

Zerks were frequently used for oil, not only for grease. Their advantage over oiling cups is that you can force oil through them at a certain pressure, possibly forcing off the way any debries and obstruction.

It is possible to transform several grease pumps into oiling pumps.

Paolo

H&W machine sells a german made "injector" for this application too at a decent price. I bought one and it works very well.
"Push" Lube Pump for Zerk Base

Our 11" Delta Rockwell is full of grease fittings as in some places it's the only way to lub their design, but naturally it ended up full of grease. Once I got it all cleared out I made sure to talk to each guy that would be operating the lathe and make sure they know NO part of the lathe that they would be lubricating needs a grease gun. Just follow the dandy lubrication instructions riveted to the gear train cover and use the oil injector that's kept with the machine.

I almost want to keep our grease guns locked up. I caught one guy using our $140 Kluber way grease for assembly lub one day:wrong:.

Myford Grinders have fittings that look like Grease fittings but were made for grease. Most of the time I see these fittings a regular grease gun won't slide over the zerk. That picture is for oil in my opinion. . You could unscrew the fitting and see if there is grease in the hole. What model Chev grinder? I may have a manual for it.

When a student in Metal Shop 50 years ago, the new shop teacher took the grease gun for the wheel bearing packer, and did a great job greasing the new BP. You could barely turn the handles when he finished. Funny as a kid to see the teacher chewed out in front of the class.

Back