What's new
What's new

Carbide Tool Grinder Question

dwall174

Aluminum
I picked up a Ex-Cell-O carbide tool grinder awhile back from a on-line auction & I finally got around to cleaning it up & going through it. Luckily it appears that the spindle/bearings have been rebuilt & the bearings seem fine! So basically it just needed a good cleaning & some new paint.

My question has to do with the right-hand side table & the dial adjusters/indicators on the ends of the table. They are calibrated to .025" per turn of the dial & they seem to be set-up to read the amount of cut from the grinding wheel?

I've done a ton of searches & I haven't been able to find another tool grinder with this type of set-up?

I originally thought it may have been a shop made addition, But the table is a casting & has a part# cast into it. The head casting of the grinder also has two recessed clearance areas that the table fits into when sitting 90 degrees to the wheel & they don't seem to of been modified or milled after casting?

I'm sure there was some type of fixture or jig that originally went with this table set-up & the indicators/adjusters, But naturally that part is missing.

Does anyone have a idea of what type of jig or fixture would have been used with these indicators/adjusters, And how they would have worked?

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_6879.JPG
    IMG_6879.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_6811 Close Up.jpg
    IMG_6811 Close Up.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_6762.JPG
    IMG_6762.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_6765.jpg
    IMG_6765.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_7025.jpg
    IMG_7025.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 101
Here's a few before & after pics of the carbide grinder.

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_6941.JPG
    IMG_6941.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6871.JPG
    IMG_6871.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5952.jpg
    IMG_5952.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5951.JPG
    IMG_5951.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 52
I've seen quite a few Excello grinders, none with attachments, usually they were simply touching up single point tools. It wouldn't be uncommon to have a collet block or vise presenting the tool at an angel that established rake angles. Most would have been proprietary and likely job specific. For general purpose work a protractor that rides in the table slots usually meets the need nicely.

I've not see one set up that way, but would speculate that the micrometer guides were used with large square or rectangular tool shanks, to control width on grooving tools (with shanks upright) or possibly height on form tools (with shanks laid on their sides). And if not large tool shanks, then similarly sized/shaped fixtures where the actual cutting bit being sharpened might be mounted at any angle or compound angle.

I've seen quite a few Excello grinders, none with attachments
After several days of doing hundreds of searches including Baldor & Delta carbide grinders, I haven't seen any with this style of set-up.

For general purpose work a protractor that rides in the table slots usually meets the need nicely.
Yeah that's probably the route I'll end up going with!
I seen a nice design that Hammond grinders used in this old thread.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-model-cb-77-b-339938/index3.html#post3190933

Doug

Attachments

• Hammond Miter Gauge.jpg
    Hammond Miter Gauge.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 77
I've not see one set up that way,
Well your not alone, I've asked this question on a couple other boards & nobody has seen this type of set-up.

similarly sized/shaped fixtures where the actual cutting bit being sharpened might be mounted at any angle or compound angle.
That was my thought also!

I'm guessing that some type of jig or fixture may have been held up against the adjustable blocks to control the amount of material being removed?

Here's a few more pictures of the adjustable block set-up.

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_7036.jpg
    IMG_7036.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7039.JPG
    IMG_7039.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7037.JPG
    IMG_7037.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7043.JPG
    IMG_7043.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 34
Well seeing that I haven't been able to find any more information on this particular set-up, It looks as though I'll have to come up with something on my own?

I currently don't have the need to grind carbide tool bits, But I got the grinder at a good price so I didn't want to pass it up!

I'm thinking of trying to setting it up as a 4-facet drill bit sharpener for now?

It wouldn't be uncommon to have a collet block or vise presenting the tool at an angel that established rake angles.

I'm kind of thinking like that also!

I could use a 5C collet block to hold the drill bit in a fixture, Then by tilting the table & angling the fixture I could set the correct angles needed. I would then need to make that assembly somehow index off of the dial adjuster blocks while sliding in the miter slot?

Doug

I ran that machine to grind tool bits years ago but don't remember if it had the hand dials to feed in.

for drill sharpening, one might make a box to hold round bushings that have a key to locate the Drill lip.
The bushing would simply be round stock drilled with each side drill, the hardened and ID polished if needed. The homemade bushings would be a very low cost compared to buying fancy collets.

Yes, one would eyeball the bushing to set the lip just higher than center - then the grinding would grind the lip to center and be correct angle- the heal would be snubbed by eyeball to a straight land up to near the primary target lane with.

That machine would be great for sharpening chipper blades.

Darn..waiting for my car to be done so I can go hunting.

No, it was Chrysler shop. The tool bits were brazed carbide topped 1x 1 x x 5" bits the went into a broach package. the grinding was to snub off the heal corner on the following side where cast iron high heat would abrade that corner. Just a very rough grinding with a green wheel. The machine was also used for and snagging where steel or braze might be hit with a diamond wheel.
Wheels had a circumference wire that would be pulled at about half the wheel life.

My son has a Van Dorn grinder in his shop, a nice machine.

Back