What's new
What's new

CBN honing

10 fingers

Hot Rolled
Require CBN honing stones for a Sunnen AN-111 portable cylinder hone. The Sunnen catalog shows only as special order. Have struck out doing searches. Have product requiring .001 stock removal of a plasma nitrided 3-1/2" bore. Conventional aluminum oxide stones take hours for results. Options?

Don, is this because you are trying to get it done during the holiday and expect Sunnen to be closed? If otherwise, I have to agree with RedJames - just call Sunnen and be done with it. But knowing you, I'm guessing it's the timing.

From memory, the published, Sunnen catalog says, 3-4 week delivery with no mention of price. Have repeatedly web searched with no luck. Was hopeful someone else had been down this road with a good solution. As a fallback can go the Sunnen root and hope for the best.

Yeah... Been down similar roads. They're pretty good about not letting prices escape into the printed wild. Still, give'm a call. I've been pleasantly surprised a number of times over this year. Pricing, well... not so much. Will likely hurt a little, but we all know the drill. If you need it, you need it. Good luck.

To do it with a AN111 hone you will need a set of master holders and at least one set of stones maybe two sets depending on the finish required. The honing will have to be done with wet with quality HONING OIL not kerosene. The stones most likely will not be in stock at Sunnen and will take 3 to 5 weeks. The cost for the master holders and a stone set is about $750 a second stone set, if needed, another $250.

What I'm trying to say is if you are only doing a few parts take it to a shop that has a Sunnen power hone and CBN stones it will be a lot cheaper.

Thanks, I was afraid it may be that painful. Obstacle is, we get parts back from heat treat with rather unpredictable distortion. Having the tooling adds maybe a couple hours to production. Sending out to a vendor typical adds a week or more. Our work is often critical delivery. Hence we've assembled a crapload of tooling attempting to be self sufficient. Does weaken the margin.

Back