What's new
What's new

Chevalier FSG-618M issues

justlesh

Plastic
I recently purchased a Chevalier 618M in a package deal and I don't know it's history. Table was leaning to the back and upon inspection we found that the phenolic cage around the ball bearings was holding the table up, the balls were not making contact with the ways, just floating around. I removed 1/2 the phenolic, it's 2 pc's. sandwiched together, it made an improvement but the table was still high, stiff and could be moved side to side. Removed the other 1/2 of the phenolic, much smoother, no side to side and table is level, chuck indicates parallel to cross travel. I know these bearing have to be in a cage of some sorts, what am I missing here?
One pic shows the gap I have with none of the phenolic cage installed, the other pic shows only half of the phenolic strip being compared to the gap.

Les Holt

Attachments

• Chevalier grinder issue 3.jpg
    Chevalier grinder issue 3.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 236
  • Chevalier grinder issue.jpg
    Chevalier grinder issue.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 242
If this machine has a vee way and a flat way like a Mitsui it will have a long and short bearing retainer which needs to be positioned correctly.Get an owners manual and check this out.

It has a single V with a flat way and and a double V way and there are 2 different length bearing setups the problem side is the double V way side.

Did you ever solve the problem?

I just bought one of these grinders and it is exactly the same way. The balls on the front double vee way don't fit down in the way grooves.

The table flops left and right. It seems like the front ball cage is way too thick. I flipped the cages around and exchanged front and rear but it makes no difference.

It is really odd.

I put it back together without the ball cage. It works OK with loose balls and smaller spacer balls in between.

Attachments

• IMG_9623 (2).jpg
    IMG_9623 (2).jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_9625.jpg
    IMG_9625.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

Back