Chevalier FSG-618M issues
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Chevalier FSG-618M issues

I recently purchased a Chevalier 618M in a package deal and I don't know it's history. Table was leaning to the back and upon inspection we found that the phenolic cage around the ball bearings was holding the table up, the balls were not making contact with the ways, just floating around. I removed 1/2 the phenolic, it's 2 pc's. sandwiched together, it made an improvement but the table was still high, stiff and could be moved side to side. Removed the other 1/2 of the phenolic, much smoother, no side to side and table is level, chuck indicates parallel to cross travel. I know these bearing have to be in a cage of some sorts, what am I missing here?
    One pic shows the gap I have with none of the phenolic cage installed, the other pic shows only half of the phenolic strip being compared to the gap.

Les Holt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chevalier-grinder-issue-3.jpg   chevalier-grinder-issue.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If this machine has a vee way and a flat way like a Mitsui it will have a long and short bearing retainer which needs to be positioned correctly.Get an owners manual and check this out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It has a single V with a flat way and and a double V way and there are 2 different length bearing setups the problem side is the double V way side.