What's new
What's new

Chevalier FSG2460CNC

ygolohcysp

Plastic
We just purchased an old Chevalier 24x60 with fanuc OM control on it. I was just wondering if anyone knows where an old manual for these machines would be. I of course tried contacting Chevalier. I'm amazed that they just flat out told me I can't get a manual in any form, not paper or pdf, so I don't feel bad for trying to find them by any other means.

Failing that, does anyone have any experience with this type of Fanuc OM control? What kind of file do we need to be able to just do simple surface grinding? We aren't doing anything weird, just want to make flat parts flatter and to size. It'll be my first time trying to operate this type of machine.

Thanks in advance!

Well, I have a manual on it's way from Fanuc on the control system, but they told me that any M codes would have to come from the manufacturer.

Mildly related, customer service from Fanuc seemed pretty awesome and responsive.

We have an Chevalier FSG, it runs off an menu driven system, with built in cycles that you can adjust to suit your needs. Did you talk to Chevalier's main office in California?

We have an Chevalier FSG, it runs off an menu driven system, with built in cycles that you can adjust to suit your needs. Did you talk to Chevalier's main office in California?

I tried, but I couldn't get an anyone to answer the phone no matter which options I chose. Kind of wonder if everyone at the call center is at home. All I got from Chevalier was a response to an email telling me that no form of manual is available, but they'd be happy to sell me parts.

Maybe I'll get lucky, and it's a menu based system as well.

Chevalier is horrible at customer support.
I have been an service manager for an dealer who handled their line, and I could not get answers?

The machines are not bad for the price range, but you pretty much are on your own.

I purchased some wheel adapter from Chevalier in California some time back. Theirs have balancing holes around the periphery. They seemed entirely responsive and normal to me.

Perhaps it's the pandemic?

metalmagpie

Just an update. So, this machine was configured for 220-240 voltage, and had been hooked up to 480. I did eventually get my hands on a manual that looks like it's only missing 1 or 2 pages from the electrical schematic. I have since replaced some of the Fanuc parts with used pieces from ebay, replaced a bridge rectifier, a relay with a shorted coil, and a momentary button that's inline with the e-stop signal going to the Fanuc system. I have this machine working! Well, all of it except the coolant pump is operational.

I can manually move the machine around, and now I just need to read the 1/2 phone book sized Fanuc manual so I know how to make the machine do what I want it to do.

Cheers, and a Thank You to Richard King for getting me a contact for the manual.

We have a Mattison Grinder with an OM control, it is bullit proof.

Are you running a grind data program?

Unfortunately, we don't have the memory system that would've come with the machine, so the only program available is a dressing program. We've gotten cables to be able to load programs using a laptop, but we're going to have to sort out the G and M codes to just do standard surface grinding. We do have the list of M-codes at least.

Is there any chance you could get a sample program to look at?

Back