What's new
What's new

Chevalier Surface Grinder

Harri89

Cast Iron
Hello!

I would have a opportunity to buy a Chevalier FSG 1224 AD surface grinder.
Its a fully working machine, year model is 1984. So its quite old.
Its in use till the new and bigger machine replaces it. Its been used in a grindingshop.
Its been used as a dry machine, coolant unit is missing.

Have all the fsg models roller bearings at x, y, z axis?
Table needs to be removed before transport?
Something to check/test/consider?

What would be good price for this kind of machine?

In good shape here in the USA perhaps $6,000..no idea in Finland..

some you cant hardy give away and one in mint perhaps 10K.

Here in the USA one can get a Brown & Sharpe for about the same..

Condition is King on a surface grinder..*Choose a very good shape grinder so you can enjoy grinding, not machine building.
If your first surface grinder take a grinder hand to look it over..
Some Chevalier have turcite scraped ways. I have never ran a Chevalier..

Don't fear asking a lot of questions..is there anything wrong with it?.. will it hold .0002 on a 8 x 12" part?.
is it a precision shop or a production shop?

Do you have an idea of what kind of grinding you might do. what degree of closeness you need.

One simple test is to feel the chuck with a precision parallel perhaps 12" long at the close to you side of the chuck where it is not used very much with it going long way down the chuck..a very good shape grinder will grind its chuck dead flat. feel the parallel on a good plate to know how it should feel on a flat surface. Yes you give the chuck a smooth side 6" or better new condition oil hone to take away bugs.

One can place a 1" wood block on the chuck, down feed the wheel to the block, then go down-way to see the down feed nut condition.

Cross hand wheel free play can be tried at an inch off the bump rail ..and then at almost full across the chuck to see the free play is near the same.

Not uncommon to set the wheel on a wood block so the head is not resting on the up-nut but left in free play for transport.
table should be off or table locks holding near center and close to column.. ( very often ball way machines one will take table off.
Machine should be wrapped so road dust does not fill places, and a loose part will fall into wrapping....and transport on a dry day.

Still, I have moved Ball Way machines on a select road way driving slow enough to not take a big bump.

likely running about 7 horse power with wheel head and hydro. bigger wheel perhaps 4" or 5" ID.
https://www.sterlingmachinery.com/m...ecision-surface-grinding-machine-brochure.pdf

OT: Driving home from work one day I saw a surface grinder table with chuck on the edge of 8 Mile road..hoped owner came back to find it..???

They do mainly sharpening work, so i assume it to be more production.

This would be my first grinder, i have some grinding before scraping on lathe slides, gibs etc. The size of this machines motions would be really good.
Then i have in mind to do some of my own metric versions of 1-2-3 blocks, parallels etc.
0.0002" or 0.005mm would be good accuracy... That wont be achieved without coolant ?

Coolant is an easy thing to add . just a tank and a simple pump..
Some times a manufacturer will let out work to a small shop guy. I know of one such that many PM guys knows that does that..No I wont mention the name..You might find such a work source in Finland.. one paying pretty good money, often better than a job rate..

Yes you have to make the spec so some talent and a decent machine required.. Such a shop wants to trust that your work will be good and well inside numbers.

The machines accuracy is what most concerns me and how durable are these machines. How expensive and difficult is to fix ways etc? Cylindrical Roller element costs?

Ummm...Just so you know, Chevalier is considered a "throw away" surface grinder.

Just saying.

The machine has about 2mm play in the z axis when i pull/push it with hand. Z axis leadscrew has some wear on it, most use in middle.. ends were tighter. Where could this play comefrom?

I had a linear straight edge on the mag table and tried to watch with a flashlight behind it. You can see the light the whole length but just barely.

Way cover bellows was in their place, quite worn, a little hole here and there. Some grinding dust was under the z axis bellows.

Price for machine is 3000e

Back