What's new
What's new

Climb vs conventional slot grind in brick

eder

Plastic
Not sure if this is the best forum for this question but I'll try as I'm not sure where else to post.
I am designing a process and production machine to cut 1/8" wide x 5/32" deep x 8" (full length) grooves in vitrified ceramic building brick using 12" dia diamond wheels. Cut would be done is a single pass. I would like to have the option of feeding in either the "climb" or "conventional" direction. I am familiar with the pluses and minuses of milling in these two ways, but not in "grinding". Assuming I have good feed control (no backlash)and coolant coming in aligned with the rotational direction of the wheel, will there be any plus or minus between the two methods (wheel wear?, chatter?, etc?)?

"Vitrified ceramic building brick" means what? Aluminum oxide? Clay brick? Major difference in materials that might both be called by that term.

The brick is hard fired clay. More detail than that I do not have. It is used on building facade.

I used to do some tile work professionally, still have the saws & tools.

You will have to experiment, but AFA diamond life, i think conventional will give the best coolant effect. If you watch the cut side of a tile saw in climb cut mode, with coolant running full tilt at it, the material will still tend to look dry for a spot centered on the blade rim. Focusing the flow in the cut (seems to) channel it around the blade more thoroughly/efficiently.

All that said, with an aggressive (production?) cut, the exit side will still appear dry & might spall anyway especially if it is glazed. So as with any "machining" op the expected end result will color your approach based on experiment. And either way, it will be best to have coolant focused on both entry & exit of cut.

Climb cut will contain the mud better, down into the sump or whatever.

If you are talking millions of units, i can imagine a specialty blade with coolant induction through the rim. :) Like creep feed grinders.

smt

Back