What's new
What's new

CNC Roll Grinding

AllAround

Plastic
Anyone know of good information about a site for CNC roll grinding??

Rolls to be ground are for a Zmill (Waterbury/Farrel) Senzimir type
made of A1/D2 . Rockwell of 64.

We currently grind these on a manual grinder.

All of these rolls are ground to a tenth of a thousandth in roll profile and taper.

The Studer is equipped with " constant surface foot " that works with
the Studer canned cycle programs. This works for straight rolls.

We also grind "crowned rolls", .001 and .004 .

The "crown " program is not a Studer canned cycle program and does not interface with the constant surface foot feature of the Studer S33.

This leave me with the problem of fitting programs (traverse rate, workhead speed, gw rpm) to roll sizes as "one size does not fit all ". :willy_nilly:

Roll sizes start at 1.950 to 2.250.

Hoping to find some guidelines published........

How long are the workpieces?

I used to run an Okuma CNC cylindrical/universal grinder, and a Kondo. Both were quite nice, but I believe that Kondo with it's Fanuc control would be quite adept at doing what you need.

cnc roll grind

26 inch long work area, 1.900 to 2.250 inch diameter.

These rolls are used in a Zmill which rolls strip down under .010" .

I am having a devil of a time finding a grinding wheel that grinds the a1/d2

tool steel and provide a finish Ra ( surf gauge) of 5 or better.

I infeed .0003" rough removal rate, .0002" medium and .0001" finish with

about 6 sparkout strokes. Traverse rate of about 40-50 IPM.

Best wheel for material removal was a Vitrified wheel from norton 100 grit g or H hardness. I have used recently a ceramic wheel 150 grit that left a terrific finish but doesn't remove material off the roll. Any infeed amount is blown right off the wheel after 6-8 inches of traverse.

It has fallen upon my shoulders ( like it or not) to take roll production onto
the new machine. It's funny because we are actually setting production records over the summer on an old Landis grinder. All while the new one sits
waiting for development which has only recently begun again.

Sorry for the long post, but I don't get to go back to the CNC shop until
this machine is up and running...................

Thanks!

Coincidence !

Back in the early 80's while working as an application engineer for Okuma we tackled this same problem quite successfully. Apart from wheel choice, the user macro capabilities of the OSP5000 made this possible to produce a one program fits all scenario.

We ran several rolls with the customers present, and they passed their inspection. Unfortunately they never purchased a machine. They are in your neck of the woods.

The controller on the Studer (I suspect it's Fanuc) has user macro B option installed. The "crown" program has probably been written in that language. You will be able to create a sub-macro to calculate sfm, wheel speed and traverse rates then have it "pass" the information to the "crown" main program . If you are not already familiar with macro programming, it is going to be a learning curve for you.

Good Luck, Steve.

AllAround,

This post is from a few months ago...how have you been making out?

I may be able to point you in the right direction as far as a specification for a wheel goes.

Shoot me a PM and we'll talk.

Thank you,
The Grind Zone

Back