What's new
What's new

Covel No 6 T&C Grinder vs KO Lee

rgerlach

Aluminum
Can someone with exposure to both the Covel No6 Tool & Cutter Grinder and any of the smaller KO Lee Tool & Cutter Grinders comment on the quality of the Covel vs the KO Lee? I have been looking at a Covel at a tempting price but know nothing about them. There are lots of KO Lee machines around but they are almost always priced higher. I have been using a Delta Milwaukee Toolmaker but it is fairly crude and I want to upgrade my capabilities. This is strictly for home hobby work. Any comments would be appreciated.

Ron

Ron,

You asked me a question via PM and I answered but your mail box is full and it won't accept my reply. I have a Covel #6 and while its use to me is limited, it is a well made older machine. All the hand wheels are calibrated in .001 increments.

The caveat with purchasing any machine is to make sure you get as many accessories as you can..without the do-dads any machine is useless.

I have seen the KO Lee's and most appear more modern than my Covel. Both those names are top notch but I think you'll find more stuff for the KO Lee machine.

Stuart

Stuart

Thanks for the feedback on the INBOX and the Covel grinders. I had no clue my stored messages were over the limit. I have since cleaned out a bunch of old stuff.
I think I am going to keep hunting for a good deal on a KO Lee.

Ron

I think it is just about even up between the two. I would choose on quality of spindle and amount of accessories.
centers,work head, finger holding bar are basic needs. Air spindle is good if thinking about enc mill ODs...Smalls 3/8 and under are not easy with a manual OD fixture.
Actually I don't think it a very good idea to do end mill ODs..unless you can run perhaps 10 at a time.. just for one or three it is a lot of time for that little need. Both good for drills,reamers,cutters,end mills, cut off,tool bits and the like. Ok as surface grinders because removing the mag chuck takes grinding to restore.

Most fixtures that fit one will fit the other.

I have the small KO lee and think the Covel as good if not better. Likely sell that machine in the spring, haven thought of a price....

Back