What's new
What's new

Crankshaft grinder steady rest

Dave123

Aluminum
Have recently purchased a Storm Vulcan 15A crank grinder.
The unit came with two steady rests, however one of the rests is missing the upper contact arm, easy enough to make one, although I don't have easy access to babbit for the tip,...wondering how bronze would work as a replacement?

Dave

Brown & Sharpe sold both WOOD and bronze shoes for their Universal Back Rests for their Universal Grinders

Here are some hardwood doing an okay job in a lathe steady

Heavy crank shafts might need more "substance" - like Bronze

Attachments

• P1000342sm.jpg
    P1000342sm.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 161
If ya need some babbit, send me PM. or just make them outa lead. Its a crank grinder, you're not grinding steel mill rolls on it. Also, check the Goodson web site- I recall them having them in their catalog at some point. Also, John's suggestion of using some wood is not out of question.

You would only be able to use two steady rests, at one time, for grinding mains. If you are using lathe style chucks, instead of grinding between centers, I doubt if you would benefit from two steady rests as a single steady rest usually goes on the journal that you are grinding. If you choose to grind between centers by using a lathe dog to drive the crank, you will run into errors on the front center of the crank's snout, caused by folks using harmonic balancer pullers which have a habit of digging up the snout's center vee surface.

Back