What's new
What's new

Crankshaft Surface Finishing

rcull

Plastic
I have a SV15 with a built in polisher. Historically the crankshafts were placed in the machine nose to the head stock then ground and polished in that position and is correct for basic rotations for most crankshafts. That is about the only position I have ever seen one.

I have heard of polishing in the opposite direction of rotation (which they would be as described above), but, also opposite to the direction that the crankshaft was ground in. This requires initially mounting the nose to the tail stock, then rotating the nose to the head stock for polishing. This is described in a Clevite article, page 22, here: https://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/m...b-2-1114-engine-bearing-failures-brochure.pdf

mahl_crankshaft.jpg

I am thinking, (first mistake), that if I install a rotary switch to allow me to run my polisher forward or backward, I can accomplish pretty much the same procedure with the nose always to the head stock. The crankshaft would be ground opposite the rotation, then the polisher reversed for a short polish in the same direction as rotation (same direction as rotation to accomplish fuzz removal), then the direction changed and a final polish opposite of rotation.

Is this just getting too picky? I am sure most grinders have never been concerned about fuzz removal by polishing opposite of the grinding rotation. I am sure there are a few out there who mount nose to the tail stock, at least when they are doing a special job.

What's your opinion, is there a bearing tech out there?

When switching direction on the polisher, you are also reversing forces on all of the pivot points, tensioners, etc. This will invariably relocate the polisher contact patch, size, orientation, and force. If you can live with some variability with this, then no problem, but I would definitely test on a crankshaft that you can live with reworking to the next bearing size down if needed.

Interesting article, thanks for posting it. I asked an engine builder friend of mine that I've known since we were neighbors in childhood about this for you. He says it is absolutely done in his shop. His exact words were "That's like the bible around here." Note he is a hi-po guy, not a fleet engine rebuilder. He is supposed to be competing in the Engine Masters competition this year.

I would probably reverse the crank orientation instead of the polisher belt if I were you. Good points by Motion above.

The belt direction needs to "lay down" the crank journal surface depending on the journal rotation direction. Seems it makes a difference to the bearing surface. Most automotive cranks turn CW looking at the nose, so a polishing belt would be run going away from you (on the top of the journal) while the crank is top coming with the nose to the left

I have a SV15 with a built in polisher. Historically the crankshafts were placed in the machine nose to the head stock then ground and polished in that position and is correct for basic rotations for most crankshafts. That is about the only position I have ever seen one.

I have heard of polishing in the opposite direction of rotation (which they would be as described above), but, also opposite to the direction that the crankshaft was ground in. This requires initially mounting the nose to the tail stock, then rotating the nose to the head stock for polishing. This is described in a Clevite article, page 22, here: https://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/m...b-2-1114-engine-bearing-failures-brochure.pdf

View attachment 306755

I am thinking, (first mistake), that if I install a rotary switch to allow me to run my polisher forward or backward, I can accomplish pretty much the same procedure with the nose always to the head stock. The crankshaft would be ground opposite the rotation, then the polisher reversed for a short polish in the same direction as rotation (same direction as rotation to accomplish fuzz removal), then the direction changed and a final polish opposite of rotation.

Is this just getting too picky? I am sure most grinders have never been concerned about fuzz removal by polishing opposite of the grinding rotation. I am sure there are a few out there who mount nose to the tail stock, at least when they are doing a special job.

What's your opinion, is there a bearing tech out there?

Search Speedtalk forum. There is much about all aspects of engine building and machining. AFAIK grinding/polishing on cast cranks really matters. Grind/polish in wrong direction and bearing will be trashed quite quickly.

Engine Tech - Don Terrill’s Speed-Talk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You would normally assume that- I did until I found a Federal Mogul tech article that covered the subject in detail. Seems on a microscopic level it does matter. As I recall it had something to do regarding microscopic wiskers getting created during the microfinishing step and if they stuck up opposite the direction of rotation, they had a negative effect on bearing life. Perhaps it is related to the metal to metal contact that takes place prior to the hydrodynamic oil film being developed upon startup.

Back